help with my bay tree

I have a standard bay tree that is around 7 or 8 years old and is in a pot outside the front of my house. I think that it has suffered frost damage. Most of the leaves are brown. It has a few that are still greenish. Can anyone give me some advice on saving it? I thought it would come back to life as it got warmer but it hasnt. S

Reply to
maisymouse

Where are you? What is your climate? Sweet bay (Laurus nobilis) is hardy to about 30F.

Bay requires very good drainage. Does your pot have a drain hole? Have roots from the bay plugged the hole?

Reply to
David E. Ross

Hi we had a Bay Tree that we had at the house when we moved in at first i thaught as you that the frost had caused damage or the sea wind however this was not the case, it did not need re-potting either so i added growmore fertilizer to the top of the pot which each time it now rains or is watered gradually has gone to the roots for tremendous results our in-herited Bay Tree is now in full health, so try as we did and give a good feed however if it has been in its pot for a long time it may also benefit from a larger one with new compost. If we can be of any further help please ge back to us

Kathryn

Wrote:

Reply to
Kathryn Selfe

when you have plants which like to get to be 15 feet tall in a container, the roots can get quite thick. You may THINK you are watering it, but the water may just be running right out of the bottom. OR, over watering it also common. If you have a container which is outside, the soil in the container is the same temperature as the air, so it may have frozen. Scratch the bark. if it's green in there, it's alive. If not, it's on its way out.

Reply to
Jangchub

Another thaught about your bay tree, they prefer to be in a terracota pot rather than plastic. kathryn

E. Ross;805148]On 7/20/2008 10:02 AM, maisymouse wrote:- I have a standard bay tree that is around 7 or 8 years old and is in a pot outside the front of my house. I think that it has suffered frost damage. Most of the leaves are brown. It has a few that are still greenish. Can anyone give me some advice on saving it? I thought it would come back to life as it got warmer but it hasnt. S-