To Mulch or Not to Mulch

I have a nice bed of about 2 dozen foxglove. Should I plan to mulch them after it freezes or leave them exposed?

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Ron H

I cast 11 votes for mulch. Don't ask how I came up with 11. :-) But, wait until the ground freezes.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

WHY???

Persephone

(where the ground never freezes)

Reply to
Persephone

Where the ground DOES freeze, mulch can keep it from freezing quickly and completely. That can cause expansion & contraction around plant roots, also known as heaving. Not good for the plants. Once the ground freezes, you want it to stay frozen until spring, rather than freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reply to
Jangchub

Well, the bed is almost entirely NEW plants that I hope will bloom next year. They were started from seed this spring. I am guessing that I need to much ( as you say LIGHTLY" and get the mulch off early in the spring! Right?

Ron H.