And some people say there's no God..........

Jangchub skrev:

Which does not contradict my point in the slightest.

I did not mention proof.

Once again (let's see if it sinks in this time), I have not criticized Buddhism or your right to be a Buddhist. Why you insist that I am making personal attacks on you or on your belief system is beyond me, and why, if you think personal attacks are wrong, you feel so free to insult me in every response is also a mystery. One could suspect that they are meant as a smokescreen.

Reply to
thomas p.

You have no evidence of this, so how can you be so certain?

That's the difference between you and me. I USED to criticize people for their beliefs, and now I've learned everyone has their beliefs or not and at the very least the phrase one of my teachers uses is: "Hands off, mouth shut." It's even sadder you feel so compelled to criticize.

I am not always good at this, but it is an aspiration.

What the scientific community is seeing now is the extent Tibetan Buddhists know about the functions of the mind. It has nothing to do with a brain. It's a consciousness which comes from a previous moment of itself, back and back and back.

You don't have to believe it, nobody is pushing it down your throat, but to criticize something you are not familiar with is like me trying to make believe I am an expert on quantum physics and mechanics.

Reply to
Jangchub

Jangchub skrev:

I have no evidence that my furniture does not discuss politics as soon as I fall asleep. In other words, there is no evidence or objective reason to think anything else.

You still do. The first post of yours that I responded to was a criticism of other people's beliefs.

Sorry, if you present your opinions/beliefs on a public forum, there is nothing sad, wrong or offensive about others criticizing them. If you cannot stand such criticism, you should not post your beliefs here. It really is very simple.

Then you should have no problem with introducing us all to a mind, or to scientific data that would support the above assertion.

You made a claim. So far you have been unable to back it up with anything of substance. Instead you have posted a continuous stream of insults, and now you are making assertions about what unnamed scientists believe.

Reply to
thomas p.

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:09:34 GMT, Jangchub wrote: - Refer: :

But it is positively criminal to NOT criticise someone who fervently believes in an unprovable fantasy, and bursts into an atheist group and lies about having proof, boldly criticising others for making rational comments, and so on. Face it, Jangchub. Loonies who blather on about reincarnation and other patent rubbish are prime targets for not only criticism, but outright derision.

As for your prostitution and distortion of what Science has to say about your delusions, (and I do claim to be an expert in Quantum Mechanics by the way), I think that you should be prosecuted for crimes against truth and reality.

Just come up with just an iota of proof that your juvenile wishings have any basis in fact, and we can talk. Until then, you are just blowing jasmine-scented hot-air up rational thinking peoples' backsides.

Reply to
Michael Gray

When I was a wee child I worried that all the stuff in my room came alive when I fell asleep, & if any object felt mistreated or ignored, it might want to avenge itself upon me. For this reason I started reading books instead of playing with toys, as I could not otherwise disguise my favorites.

Some of us do learn to reason a bit more clearly as we mature. Others never outgrow belief in the supernatural. Perhaps if I'd convinced myself my posessions wanted to protect me, instead of worried they might want to punish me, I would've clung to the belief longer, or to some similar belief in the Invisible Friend.

If that's the case, "maturing" into rationalism is inspired by a desire to overcome irrational fears, & failure to "mature" into rationalism is a desire to cling to irrational feelings of well being. And the impetus to rational or a tendency toward belief in the impossible have similarly nutty beginnings.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

The message from snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) contains these words:

A part of me wonders what a stickbug is.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough