Subject Author Posted Replies

My Acers have shed their leaves already!
Hi folks, (Apologies in advance, this is a long one...) I would like to get a second opinion on this please as I have a feeling that my trees are very poorly. I bought an Acer Suminagashi and an Acer...
3
3

list of English and latin names
Hi everyone! I am a Spanish gardener trying to improve her English language. I have just discovered your forum which it seems very interesting! My question is: Is there anyone who can send me a list...
1
1

Luffa gourds - still no female flowers
This is the first time I've grown luffa gourds in at least 20 years. My first try back in the late 80's resulted in not a single luffa fruit. Well, it appears that exactly the same thing is happening...
6
6

Kale question
I've never grown kale before, but over the past 5 years I've found that I like it more than any variety of lettuce for salads, and I buy it more and more frequently. I've got a couple of questions for...
6
6

How to fix a perma-squealing B&D 16" corded e-ic hedge trimmer
I actually have two with the same problem. They run fine, but they now also squeal without relent. Can I take it apart and get it to stop the noise?
8
8

Plum tree
Last year and the year before my mature (about 20 years old) Victoria plum tree produced barely half-a-dozen fruits. This year I have harvested over 300 delicious plums. What, if anything have I done...
3
3

Indoor gardening for urban beginners
Hi all I am completely new to gardening but would love to hear a few tips as to how to start growing a few things in pots. We are absolutely keen to start growing some herbs and perhaps a chilli...
4
4

Rust everywhere
A border of obedient plant is infected with rust. We have removed and burned the infected plants. Verbena bonariensis also getting infected. Would be grateful for suggestions on a thorough approach to...

Rhododendrons slow growing?
My husband planted a small (about 8-10 inches)rhodie last April in a woodsy spot that gets lots of morning sun, but mainly mottled sun at best, the rest of the day. While it seems to be doing OK, nice...
4
4

billit
I am going to use green manure for the first time namely mustard and could anyone tell me if you cut it down before you dig it in or do you let it die back. Any information on this type of manuring...
3
3

Help on killing multiflora rose
I've tried brush killer and repeated to the ground pruning and combinations there of - HELP - I missed it when it was a seedling and now it seems poised to take over despite my best efforts. I've...
17
17

Killing Ivy
What's good for killing ivy without harming nearby fruit trees? The neighbouring land (not someone's garden) has a couple of seriously overgrown ivy plants and they're growing onto my property and...
25
25

On Keeping seeds cool??
Saw a program on might not be this episode and I can't find the one dealing with fall crops. But it dealt with keeping cold wether seeds cool as they germinate. Very new to me. Thought warm was always...
1
1

Broken Asian Pear Tree
The top 5-6 feet of one of my Asian Pear trees broke off yesterday. It wasn't that badly loaded with fruit, but we did have some high winds, and I think the combination of wind and fruit load was just...
8
8

Ground cover for a soakaway
I have a 10m x 5m soakaway, which at the moment is lying fallow. I can't cover it with grass because we can't take the mower over it and we can't plant anything with deep roots because of the pipes....
6
6