billit

I am going to use green manure for the first time namely mustard and could anyone tell me if you cut it down before you dig it in or do you let it die back. Any information on this type of manuring would be most welcome

Reply to
Billit

Never grown mustard however I would cut it back, leave the clippings and then turn it under and by next spring you shoudl have improved soil. Maybe turn it once more in the winter.

Reply to
bullthistle

In lasagna gardening (no dig), you would cover your green manure with newsprint or cardboard, and then cover that unsightly mess with mulch (alfalfa/lucern is my favorite but leaves would be fine). Wait two weeks, and plant by digging holes in the mulch. I usually use rye, or a green manure mix from my local nursery. The rye (or buckwheat) will put lots of organic material in your soil. The green manure mix has clover and peas to add nitrogen.

Lasagna gardening is no dig gardening, although if you could double dig it the first year, and that would speed up the development of your garden, but it isn't necessary.

way be sure to add your amendments to the organic material, manure, phosphate, and potassium, when you prep the garden area this Fall.

Reply to
Billy

I knocked mine down and let it sit on top of the soil, no digging in.

rob

Reply to
George.com