Confused about which option to choose about our house (2026 Update)

Jul 18, 2019 Last reply: 2 days ago 2 Replies
Saved reading
Jump to replies (2)

We have 2 options for us on what to do with our house...... #1 save up about 40,000 in a years time to repair and remodel house to put up for sell.



#2 save up to 65,000 in a years time and just pay off the mortgage on the house and then sell it to a cash-for-home company.



If we repair and remodel basically the entire house which could end up costing more than 40,000, then I'm afraid we would not profit enough from the sell in order to have a down payment for a new house. On the other hand, if we just pay the mortgage off and owe nothing when we sell it, then there might be a better possibility of having a bigger chunk in our pocket to use for down payment on another home.



Give me all your thoughts and opinions and info on this please.


Run the numbers on both paths before you commit to either. A full-house remodel almost always costs more than expected and rarely returns dollar-for-dollar on resale, so ask a local agent for a comparative market analysis first to see what updated homes actually sell for in your neighborhood. Paying off the mortgage gives you a guaranteed return equal to your interest rate, plus a cleaner and faster sale since there's no lender in the way. If the house needs major work anyway, get a quote on selling it as-is to an investor and compare that net figure against your remodeled sale price minus the $40k-plus cost. Whichever route you take, be careful not to over-improve past what the neighborhood supports, because that is the most common way people lose money on a project like this.

This really comes down to the math and your timeline. Paying off the mortgage first gives you a clean sale with no lender delays or payoffs eating into your closing proceeds, and you won't be paying interest while the house sits on the market. That said, if the repairs would push the sale price up more than they cost, a modest remodel can pay for itself - just be honest about which repairs actually move the needle versus nice-to-haves. Get quotes from a couple of local contractors and run both scenarios: sale price minus costs in each case, plus the carrying costs of waiting. Whichever number is higher wins, and I'd keep a cash reserve either way so you're not forced into a quick, low sale.

Join the Discussion

Have something to add? Share your thoughts — no account required.

Didn't find your answer?

Ask the community — no account required