Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

first tomatoes put up
picked yesterday morning and put them up last night once it cooled off a bit outside. i don't really much like the variety of tomatoes we planted as they are texturally like store bought tomatoes,...
4
4

Cukes + Tomatillos ??
Hi All, I goofed and double planted Cucumber and Tomatillos seeds in the same ground pot. Both came up. The tomatillo towers over the cucumber. Here is the weird part. Both of them are doing about...
1
1

Does a plant drink water from the leaf?
When we water the tomato plants does it matter if we water the leaves? Do the tomato plants "feel" the water when it's "on" the leaf? Can they absorb the water from the leaf? Or only from the ground...
10
10

OT: Ping Frank: Dad joke for you
Hi Frank, This "dad" might cause brain damage, so be careful. Don't say you were not warned. Now I know you as a retired chemist HAVE to know the answer to this PRESSING question! If not, my faith in...
3
3

Solution for apple maggot and codling moth problems?
apple cider vinegar or distilled vinegar? or will any vinegar do? i'm all in favor of not spraying a bunch of poisons on the trees. i was going to start a cider apple patch out back but i never got...
4
4

onion experiment
the seeds i planted last year worked out fairly well. today i was out weeding and lifting up what i want to keep or use. there's plenty more tiny bulbs left in there that will keep growing for this...

Tomatoes, v2021
So I went out to the garden to check on just how much of a disaster it is (and it is), and discovered a double handful of ripe Black Plum tomatoes. I'd expected the tomatoes to be struggling, as I...
6
6

Speaking of critters
Wife looked out at noon to see a groundhog messing with flowers on our deck. Highly unusual as our deck is 10 ft. off the ground and he had to climb stairs. He was a youngster and I checked the area...
20
20

What critter is doing this?
Hi All, Some critter is making 6" diameter half circle holes in my garden. They stay away from the plants so no harm seems to be done. Yesterday, I found two next to each other. There does not seems...
13
13

Dormant garlic question
Hi All, When garlic goes "dormant" in the early spring, how long does it stay dormant? Is it waiting for fall and the weather to cool down? And should I water my dormant garlic? Many thanks, -T
3
3

Dad Joke for Gardeners
Hi All, All of have grown or tried to grow a tomato at some point in our lives, so each and every one of us should instantly know the answer to this pressing question! Q. Why did the tomato blush? A....

Gardening, yes. Edible, maybe.
I'm in the Brood X cicada territory, but in a town that was mostly cleared farmland until the '60s or '70s. No woods, no cicadas. But the woods have since recovered, largely on city owned property --...

A new, better, year planted
The garden is approximately a disaster, but there is food planted and some growing. After the past year, this is wonderous. Nothing got planted in 2020 (more below). According to my limited log...
2
2

Just talked to a farmer
Hi All, A customer just called me that use to do farming. He confirmed my suspicion that seeds from Burpee, etc. are not what farmers use. They have their own supply chain. And they DO NOT put up with...
2
2

ping songbird: garlic seeds
Hi Songbird, If I like the Trader Joe's garlic I just planted, I was thinking of letting a few go to seed. They are right next to my green onions. Will the cross pollinate? They are similar families....
10
10