first significant rain in a while

we've had a few sprinkles between Apr 5 and now, but probably all totalled less than a half inch of rain. normal for us is about 3 inches of rain a month.

a bit ago we had a whopping 3/8 of an inch of rain and better yet more chances for tonight and tomorrow and even through the week.

it will be really nice to not have to water. :)

i finished planting gardens yesterday and did a bit more today but nothing extensive as it was outside the fenced area so critters may eat it. just testing some things out to see how they go.

on the whole most things i've planted have been sprouting and growing but slowly as they just do not do as good as they would otherwise do with rain water. the well water is not so bad that it would kill plants, but it has some calcium and rust in it which will eventually affect the pH of the gardens. along with it mostly being clay some gypsum and sulfur are amendments i should get from time to time and check the pH, but as of yet in almost 20yrs of gardening here i've not done it. plenty of organic matter is also a good thing and any green manure crops i can grow and turn under are very helpful.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

That's good! It was like that most of May and half of June here, but the rain started a couple of weeks ago, and we've got a fair bit since. Gardens have been in, but I should put chicken wire around them. I just planted a peach tree in my front yard.

Reply to
Michael Trew

We've enjoyed a fair amount of rain this year , and mostly well timed . We got a half inch yesterday afternoon . Other parts of the county got more , but it was mostly in the form of destructive hail . Busted every single skylight at our local WallyWorld . My neighbor was on the road when it hit , busted his truck windshield and I hear his hood and cab roof are covered with dents .

Reply to
Snag