Liquid fertilizer question

Hi All,

I water my ground pots with a watering want on sprinkle.

I picked out a liquid fertilizer that I liked as it had a lower nitrogen and a higher phosphate number (1-3-1).

They want you to premix 1/2 cap to one quart of water.

This is a supreme hassle to to do over so many ground pots.

Is there any reason why I can't just put a 1/2 cap in each ground pot and then go back and water it in with my watering wand?

Many thanks,

-T

T wrote: ...

yes, even if you immediately watered and did not wait it may still be too strong in spots and do harm to the roots of the plant. if you look up what fertilzer burn is you can see that it's not a good thing to do to a plant.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I thought that was not possible with organic fertilizers?

When I transplanted my eggplant, cucumbers, peppers from the green house, I dumped Jobe's organic bone meal down the hole before inserting the plants.

I have never seen transplants so perky and happy the next day! If plants could grin, they were a grinnin' !

T wrote: ...

depends upon the strength, sorry i missed that it was rather weak and organic source, so really then the issue becomes how dispersed it would be and perhaps may still be mostly in or near one spot.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

It is pretty weak (1-3-1).

What do you think of dissolving a bunch in a two gallon water buckets, poured a

1/2 cups of the diluted mixture on each ground pot, then watered it in? Sort of a two step process?

T wrote: ...

i think it would be ok, better at least than putting the stuff right in there and then watering.

how big are the ground pots these days? :) i remember when you were just starting to dig them.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

They are about 12 inches deep and about 9 inches in diameter.

They are in hard pack decomposed sandstone (ancient lake bottom). Before adding peat moss and fertilizer to the hole, filling them with water takes about 6 hours or more to drain.

The idea was pots that do no blow over in the wind and not having to amend ($$$) the entire area.

The soil in these holes has worms in them and feels really nice in my hands.

T wrote: ...

:)

songbird

Reply to