Onions from seeds?

seeds or bulbs?

if you want just regular bulbed eating onions those would be sprouted early in the season and then grown to bulb size and then harvested. if you want to use tiny bulbs as starts for the following year that can happen but it is not as predictable as the size of the tiny bulbs plus the climate of your growing season may end up having all your planted starts end up flowering (which is what happened to me this season due to the dry and hot weather). this was even after i selected the tiny bulbs and not those that were larger. i now have a few hundred seed heads i'll have to harvest. eeks!

if you want green onions for this fall and early winter you can plant those seeds anytime now. keep them as evenly moist as possible until they sprout.

you can eat the green onions grown from seeds anytime after they've sprouted. if you want some of those to go to flower and give you more seeds next year leave them alone to come up next spring.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I planted seeds in early May. They are about four to five inches tall now. Me thinks this is possibly a two year thing.

-T

I suppose it would help if I linked to what onions I planted.

T-448 (F1) Onion Seed

Onion Seeds - Bunching - Tokyo Long White

They are both about four to five inches tall.

T wrote: ...

sounds interesting. i hope they work out well for you. :)

i have an onion called Tokyo here that is a bunching onion and i've had no problem at all overwintering them here in mid-Michigan. no mulch used to protect them at all for the past two years. they will bloom the following year.

if planted in early May they are growing very slowly to only have reached that size by now.

harvest some to eat when you want but for the bunching onions don't thin them out too much. bulb onions do better with enough space between them so they should be thinned out.

songbird

Reply to
songbird