2nd year onions

Hello,
Earlier this spring when I went to till my garden I found two
onions coming up that I must have not seen last fall.
Before starting to till I moved them up closer to the house in
in a pot I have (about 2 foot wide by two foot deep).
Well I left them in there and they grew about 3 foot tall and
they sprouted flowers along with a promenent swelling in the
middle length of the stem.
Before the flowers were a week old the kids and friends had
knocked the flowers off, but they stayed green up until recently.
My question is if the onions are edible?
(never saw such a spectacle)
TIA,
Dan in southeren Michigan
Reply to