Propane-powered Mosquito Traps: What's the deal? Do they work?

I remember seeing these propane-powered mosquito traps at local big-box hardware stores a few years ago, but I don't think I've seen any of them lately. They retailed for around $300 and up to $450 if I remember correctly. Some brand names include Skeeter Vac and Mosquito Magnet.

The premis is that they gave off a carbon-monoxide (or co2?) scent (by burning propane) which would attract mosquitoes into a one-way bag where they'd die. Some of the claims were that one unit was good for about an acre of coverage.

The reviews on Amazon are mixed. Some claim it catches everything but mosquitoes, some claim it works great on them. Many don't like the ongoing cost of replacing sticky paper.

Some employ some combination (or all?) of these methods: heat, co2, octenol, lactic acid, suction, blinking lights, sticky paper.

What's the verdict on these things? Are they effective?

Reply to
Yard Guy

Yard Guy wrote: ...

I've seen no independent testing results that indicated they're more effective than alternatives tested--which is pretty much why they're not particularly widespread; it appears that most of the glowing testimonials are either sponsored "research" (read advertising hype) or self-justification of the $$ spent to avoid admitting have been suckered.

It's been a while since I looked but google found several studies a while back from various land-grant universities, etc., that concluded they're of minimal help if any...

--

Reply to
dpb

Good luck in your search. Like you, I've seen comments from those that swear by them and swear at them. I do think that the science behind this is sound. I did find that the comments seemed better for those that used a combination of heat, co2, and attractant.

Reply to
JB

I'd be one that swears by them! We have the Liberty Plus model and it works awesome! On year 3 now without a single problem. Our backyard is essentially moquito free while our neighbors 2 houses away have them all over the place. Every tank tank (3 weeks) I empty the net and there must be about 1000 dead females in there. If it were to break down and be non-repairable I would without question replace it with the same model without hesitation.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

That can only be because some werent that well designed.

Its been known for a long time now what attracts mosquitos.

Reply to
Rod Speed

May be so; as noted the testing results I remember seeing didn't demonstrate significantly higher preferential capture rates for the devices. Particularly, they weren't effective for anything even remotely approaching the acreage coverage claims iirc...

There are likely newer studies available; others are welcome to pursue it. Seems like it was LSU extension maybe(???) that had some of the most extensive that I saw previously but I'm not certain of that any longer....

--

Reply to
dpb

I, on the other hand, have a Mosquito Magnet Defender which is a smaller model rated for 1/2 acre, I believe. Although we have lots and lots of mosquitoes, the unit collects maybe 10 to 15 mosquitoes a night, but does not do much to control the little bastards. I tried placing the unit in several locations in my yard and finally found the place that it works best in, but 15 mosquitos does not really do much to reduce the population. I set the unit out in the early spring when the bastards first start, but they just keep coming. The Summers here on Long Island, NY are hot and humid, and they just thrive here. After having the unit for about 5 years, and the original mfr replacing the 1st Defender unit on warranty in year one, I have to say that at least in my case, the unit was a waste of 300 dollars to buy it, a waste of 20 pounds of propane every three weeks, plus the Octanol attractant also needed. I have mine running right now, but I keep hoping for better results in vain. I am glad your unit works well for you Brian. I have a friend who swears by his too, but if I am doing something wrong, I don't know what it is. It works, but so does swatting them. Ouch! A thousand mosquitos a month seems like a small number to me considering how many I actually can see flying around in the evening all over my yard.

By the way, there is a web site that gives instructions on repairing these units (the Defender, anyway)

Real Pisser

dpb wrote

No maybe about it.

significantly higher preferential capture rates for

Higher than what ? If they capture anything, they must be working better than no device at all.

Different matter entirely.

Sounds like you are comprehensively garbling what they actually said.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Get a good electric bug zapper. Mine is caked with mosquitoes, black flies and minges every morning. Any small flying insect attracted by ultra violet even small moths and beetles. Some take a while to cook and smoke a little. It's fun to watch. The tiny flies get zapped when they are 3 abreast in the zapper. Sometimes I blow it out at midnight and again in the morning. I use an electric leaf blower. Bugs are pretty stupid.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

You're tak Certainly it's know what attracts skeeters to live critters; what's not so clear is that the artificially-generated attempts are effective.

Than the other devices in the test, obviously... :(

But still a portion of the test and how effective they are for practical use. So what if even if they were 100% effective in a small radius--you going to limit your position into that area? The devices are typically advertised as covering sizable fractions of an acre.

No; the conclusions were they were no more effective than other traps tested w/o the CO2 attractants...

As they say, "you can look it up"... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I used one for a couple of years and like yours, it would be loaded with bugs. The problem, however, is that it attracted more bugs than when I had nothing and it was still a net gain on my screen door in spite of those killed away from the house where the zapper was hung. I'd never have one again. . It may work better in more urban areas, especially if a few neighbors have them too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That is pretty much my story too. I took one camping and it attracted more than it killed. Having the extra propane bottle did come in handy . They are good for emptying out the bugs in a controlled space like a screened porch.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

You're lying.

Corse its perfectly possible to provide the CO2, heat and odours etc that are the same as what live humans produce.

significantly higher preferential capture rates

That means that those other devices are perfectly viable mosquito traps, stupid.

Wrong on that last.

limit your position into that area?

You havent established that they only work over a small area.

Irrelevant if you dont need as much as that.

Seems like it was LSU extension

Yep.

the CO2 attractants...

Easy to claim. Have fun actually substantiating that claim.

As they say,

YOU made that claim about what they purportedly said.

YOU get to demonstrate that any actually said what you claim they said.

THATS how it works.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Rod Speed wrote: ...

FOAD, d*****ad...

Not w/o the same generating mechanism, no...there's more than just CO2 and the odors aren't all that simple to generate.

But it also means the CO2-baited traps ain't worth the extra expense which I presumed anybody w/ the least amount of intelligence would realize is all that was said....

IOW, just a fan to suck the critters in and trap 'em was more effective than the expensive, fancy traps.

--

Reply to
dpb

Go and f*ck yourself, f****it child.

Wrong, as always.

It is however the primary thing that attracts mosquitos.

They aint that hard either.

Nothing like your previous claim.

all that was said....

Never ever could bullshit and lie its way out of a wet paper bag.

Pity we happened to be discussing PROPANE POWERED traps.

captured. ... Significantly greater numbers of

when compared to standard light and carbon

No reason why the propane powered traps cant have counterflow as well, f****it child.

the expensive, fancy traps.

That is nothing even remotely resembling anything like what they actually concluded, f****it child.

AND that particular study didnt even use the sort of mosquito traps that are used in a domestic environment ANYWAY, they were SCIENTIFIC mosquito traps.

Try again.

Reply to
Rod Speed

concluded, f****it child.

They ACTUALLY said that its the traps that have counterflow IN ADDITION TO chemical and CO2 luring that work the best, which is hardly surprising.

(2001)017%5B0196%3ALCDAOM%5D2.3.CO%3B2&ct=1Try again.

Reply to
Rod Speed

-snip-

An entomologist was being interviewed about the various ways of dealing with mosquitoes and said the propane zappers were a good gift for a neighbor. He wouldn't use one on his property though.

It was a while ago, but I think his conclusion was deet and fans for the best reduction in bites.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If you are going to have a party, toss pieces of dry ice into a ditch a few hundred feet away. They go for the carbon dioxide in your breath, the dry ice provides plenty of that, makes them head for the source.

Some have good luck with the traps, some don't. And there are some possible reasons for the disparity. For one thing, wind direction. If there is a very gentle air movement sending the machine's attractant, but the mosquitoes heading for it find you before they get to it, you would be saying that it isn't doing the job. But if the neighbors on both sides of you use them, you would be saying you don't need one.

Most anything that makes carbon dioxide can serve as an attractant, even the family dog. If you decide to get a device, be sure to decide where your prevailing winds come from, and if wind speed is 3 miles an hour or more, turn the unit off to save gas.

Also, consider taking 100mg. Vitamin B before you're going to be in the yard, especially during the evening. And Avon Skin-So-Soft might not be a bad idea, either. Neither are going to hurt, might help.

Reply to
Michael B

to >

nificantly higher preferential capture rates

g to limit your position into that area?

e it. =A0Seems like it was LSU extension

d w/o the CO2 attractants...

That's how the ignorant think it works. More knowledgeable persons simply refute, then may or may not chastise.

Any device may kill tons of mosquitoes. Whether those kills provide adequate relief is another story entirely.

Gas/smoke/heat emitting devices are obviously dependent on the speed and direction of the wind, a severe limitation of effectiveness.

As a former PCO who lives in the woods with a SO who is outdoors morning to usually late night I recommend materials that both kill and repel. I use Tempo Ultra WP (available on eBay at nearly PCO $) applied at a 0.10 concentration with a Birchmeier 2-1/2 gallon sprayer (the Cadillac of sprayers).

big downside is that pyrethrin insecticides, while safe for mammals, aren't selective; they kill pretty much everything.

They are also quickly degraded by UV light (@48 hrs direct sunlight) and while they will stick pretty good during a heavy rain, two rains and they're in the dirt (it's been a tough year here in this regard, it's rained twice every 3-4 days).

Another consideration is swimming pools. Get much in one by spray or tracking) and you'll have algae growing like you've never seen before.

I spray everything in the vicinity; trees, grass, bushes, walls, deck railing, being careful of overspray drift in the pool.

SWMBO sits out in her bikini unmolested by anything but me.

No "electronic" pest repellent/killer has been demonstrated to have much effectiveness outdoors.

(I once met a client at a pet store and we put his new $50 electronic rodent device in an aquarium full of mice. They immediately crawled all over it.) -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

(snip)

Now if somebody could just come up with an electronic repellent for Rod Speed... (talk about futile battles...)

Reply to
aemeijers