Spring onions

OK, so I bought some spring onions to use and since the price was right I bought a few extra bundles. The fridge was full so I kept a bundle in a glass of water like cut roses. Lo and behold, they started to sprout roots. Can I plant these? Will they start growing little offshoots to the sides? Will they grow seed pods and will I get little spring onions sprouting up next spring in my pots or gardens if I plant these in the ground?

BTW, I did the same with lemon grass too and they have sprouted little roots also. Thanks, Wil

Reply to
Wil

it may work. you can try putting it is some soil, keep it moist, and cut most of the top off so that the new plant will not loose too much water. I've found that green onions are very hardy and easy to grow. if yo ureayy wnat to grow them, you can buy seeds or get from a neighbor. If you have a neighbor with "egyptian onions" get a few bulbs, they are more proflic than traditional green onions.

thanks, Sim> OK, so I bought some spring onions to use and since the price was

Reply to
Simon

Thanks for that Simon. I'll look into the Egyptian onions. You mentioned onion seeds. I haven't come across any around where I'm at (DC). I use spring onions a lot although they are cheap to buy, I'd love to grow some in my own pot. I think they will look nice in a pot by the window in the winter.

Thanks, Wil

Reply to
Wil

I'm pretty sure there ar eplaces online where you can order green onion seeds. I think burpees has them but am not sure. once they are established, you never have to buy seed again, just leave a few stalks to grow and seed every year.

thanks, Sim> > > it may work. you can try putting it is some soil, keep it moist, =EF=BF= =BDand

ey start growing

Reply to
Simon