Totally silly question about onions

Ok, this is real, I'm not belittling the guy that asked about spring onions. ;-)

My advice to him would be to refrigerate them as long as he could before planting. I have wild spring onions and they sprout in mid-winter, then throw a lot of little clove type thingies at their tops along with blooms that then make new spring onions every year. They are only edible until those stalks start developing new ones, then they lose their flavor.

Right now, I have a large grocery store onion in the room temp. veggie basket next to my stove sprouting a large stalk. This is a yellow onion (probably Vidalia) about 4 inches in diameter. The stalk is about 8" tall right now.

I'm in Central Texas near Austin. I'm debating potting this onion just for grins, or making it the next "must use" onion in the the next meal I require fresh onion in.

What would _you_ do?

Reply to
Omelet

Eat it, it's just trying to produce seed. The flavor will probably be quite strong, so, I'd cook it rather than trying to eat raw. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

I never eat raw onions. Can't stand them. ;-)

Okay, into the next batch of p'tcha it goes!

Reply to
Omelet

Try raw garlic!

Reply to