onions

Why do all the stores you buy gardening supplies from carry garlic for fall planting but not onions?

Reply to
MY WORD

IF the stores at your locale suck, maybe you should go mail order?

AZ Nomad

If they are any good, nurseries will stock things like onion sets and seed potatoes only when it is the optimum time for planting them in their locale. In Southern California, for example, if you plant onions now you will only get green onion results. If you want bulb onions you have to wait till November to plant. Best thing is to find a good nursery and ask them. -aem

Reply to
aem

Probably because garlic needs to be planted in the fall for good results. Onions can be planted in the spring and that's what most people do.

Reply to
Steve

Now why didn't I think of that! I do it all the time for other things.

Thanks for the reminder

Reply to
MY WORD

If you check my sig you will see I spend 1/2 the year in Ontario and 1/2 in S. Texas. So November is when I want to plant. But a little early is ok as we've already planted our garlic. I've checked 3 nurseries as well as numerous garden sections in stores. thanks.

Reply to
MY WORD

I plant both my garlic and my multiplier onions in the Fall in Michigan. I save my seed bulbs from year to year of course. Multiplier onions will give you 3 to 6 new bulbs for each one you plant. They are similar to shallots but bigger (on average, golf ball size, the seed bulbs about twice as big), excellent flavor, good storage, a bit more difficult to peel than regular onions. I bought my onions many years ago from Territorial Seeds.

Reply to
simy1

Reply to
fruit-tree.com

Thanks for the info. It's much appreciated. I'm not far from you. In Southern Ontario.

Reply to
MY WORD

Not to me. I doubt they ship to Canada.

Reply to