Sprouting radishes

I can't believe I'm asking such an amateur's question, after all these years

I left a large planting of radishes in the ground too long. Harvested them; too woody to eat. I was busy, and let them sit around for a few days. Oops --- they have begun to sprout enthusiastically.

Question: Should I replant them? If I do, what will happen? Straight question; I honestly don't know whether to bother replanting, or sow afresh.

TIA

Persephone

Reply to
Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q33g2000pra.googlegroups. com:

if you want to eat radish roots, then sow afresh. however, radish seed pods are not only edible, they're pretty tasty. you can toss them in salad or stir fry them or steam them. lee

Reply to
enigma

snipped-for-privacy@q33g2000pra.googlegroups.

Seed pods? I'm talking about a little green stuff sprouting from the radish tops. Is that what you mean? If so, I will salvage the tlittle greenery tops before they use up all the nutrition in the roots.

Pls clarify; thanks.

Reply to
Artful Dodger

Got me thinkin about root crops that have edible greens, Turnip greens come to mind as does Sweet potatoes leaves. Anymore out there for folks that like to take a little before the crop is ready ?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Beet tops are excellent, better than spinach... leaf beet is swiss chard. Even though not a root crop mustard greens are good too. Some of the oriental cabbage and lettuce is a blend of mustard or turnip, very nice in salads.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Artful Dodger wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y6g2000prf.googlegroups.c om:

no, not the leaves. let them flower & then eat the seed pods before they ripen. lee

Reply to
enigma

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

carrot tops make a nice soup. beet greens, of course. pea tendrils. squash blossoms. lee

Reply to
enigma

I wondered this same thing last year and after a bit o' research found that many leaves are edible and I found quite tasty after trying...

Check this out....excellant list and references for edible leaves, this will open your mind about the edible possibilities of many of the crops we grow.

and cauliflower leaves, radish leaves, leek tops (steamed, very tasty), amaranth leaves ( great sauteed or steamed, not so great raw), pea shoots and leaves....

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

You posted this last year and I tried them and they are wonderful.

I am going to try the immature seed pods from Mizuna this year.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie