Weird garlic

I planted several different types of garlic last Fall.

I have planted garlic probably 3 times but I've seen these curly stems.

Anybody recognize what this is about?

Thanks,

-SCR Vancouver, WA

Reply to
Herb Berful

Geez, I hate f54369 Windows!!!

Links are

scr

Reply to
Herb Berful

Scapes on hardneck garlic? "Flower" bud on the end? If so, cut them off to put more energy into the bulb. If they haven't gotten too tough, stir-fry them.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at

Gary Woods

Yes, a couple of the species were hardnecks.

Cut the entire ~3" bulbous section on the top?

Why would the bulb be too tough?

Thanks!

scr

Reply to
Herb Berful

Cut the whole stalk when young and eat it like you would the bulbs. Chop fine, mix with butter, spread on French or Italian bread, broil in oven until brown (drool). Nothing better.

Reply to
Dan Mazerolle

Never mind :-)

I just got unlazy and found info at the Garlic Store.

scr

Reply to
Herb Berful

Nice pictures. I've heard that the garlic variety 'Music' is named after the treble clef that the scapes resembles. :)

Reply to
Pen

I was told at a garlic fest that it was named for its discover, a Canadian of the same name (apparently not related to Lorenzo Music AKA Garfield the Cat and Carlton the Doorman).

And some of mine are producing scapes right now; time to go a-trimming. They make good pesto too.