Garlic stems turning yellow

Hi everyone. Im hoping someone can help me. I planted garlicfor the first time last fall. They did good until the stems started turning yellow and some have yellow streaks going through the stems, the bulbs are small as well.

I dont know if this is a nitrogen deficiency, if so what do I do to help my poor garlic and if thats not the problem can someone please tell me what it is and if there is anything that I can do.

I live in Ontario, Canada in zone 5. Thanks for any help you can give.

Reply to
sockiescat

getting close to harvest time...

probably too late to make much of a difference for this year's crop.

what type of garlic did you plant? did you plant the largest cloves? what kind of space did you have between the plants? did they get full sunlight and were they weeded and watered regularly? what kind of soil?

all of these are factors that go towards having larger bulbs of garlic.

i haven't noticed the plants needing a huge amount of fertilizers as my garlic is often grown in areas that are two or three crops past the addition of worms and worm castings, but i also do add (or grow in place organic) material to the soil to help it along and to keep the worms happy. we have pretty heavy clay soil in most areas. a lighter sandier soil may be good for making it easier to harvest but it also makes it harder to hold nutrients and moisture.

this past spring we had several weeks of dry weather and so i did have to water the garlic during that time.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

In a nutshell - it's indicating time to harvest.

Try to harvest while there are still about 3 green leaves on the plant otherwise the bulb loses the "wrapper" (the the lower part of the leaves above) and you get dirt in with the cloves, instead of a bulb with wrapper and dirt outside that.

Waiting won't help, fertilizing won't help (this year), the time is come (or at least near.) Dig up, keep shaded, cure in shade with plenty of air for a few weeks.

For next year, space at least 8"/20cm apart and weed well. Plant only large cloves if you want large heads.

Reply to
Ecnerwal