Off Topic pondering yet again.

Seems the obesity issue is being focused on as a sloth issue. I'm not so sure.

Consider Taubes good Calories and bad calories book.

Then that Spanish study dealing with DDE and obesity how it affects our food.

Then there is the Mayo clinics Thyroid issues

There are other issues I'd guess. Care to add or detract. How the Thyroid helps us handle carbs I'd guess is of great importance.

Reply to
Bill who putters

I will agree with you that obesity is not a sloth issue. It is a strong desire to eat! Does hormones have an effect on weight, I would say yes, However, the food industry has also made the foods tastier and more convenient and tastier also tends towards high salt, sweet and high fat content.

However, in my case, I do have a thyroid problem. When I was younger, like twelve years old, my T-Cells were sky high. I had a strong desire for salt, I could eat the stuff by the teaspoon and say yum! I was also thin then. In my thirties i was running five miles four times a week and in great shape. It was a secondary thyroid problem due to hypo-pituitary problem. The pituitary controls the thyroid. Medication tends too keep things in check. I have been taking hormone medication since the age of thirteen. Now in my old age the thyroid has played out and now I take thyroid medication. Now I am fat, old and decrepit, foods now taste too salty, however I still have my hair :)

Reply to
Dan L

Your writing seems not to have suffered. My guess is thyroid issues will be more acknowledge in the future. I want to know what can be done to prevent thyroid damage or ameliorate.

Alarmist no just this stuff can and does hit close to home.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Prevent thyroid damage? I am no doctor, so take this with a ton of salt.

I have heard chest Xrays can damage the thyroid. When getting a chest Xray one should always ask for a metal plate that covers the thyroid area when getting an Xray. The early years no one ever did cover the thyroid when getting a chest Xray.

I know two people that had thyroid cancer. They had the thyroid removed and MUST take their medications on a regular basis. They are still alive and doing well ten years later. However, they must go in once in awhile to be bleed to prevent high iron levels building up in the blood. I do not have cancer. I do have slightly higher than normal iron levels myself, but I do not go in for a bleeding. I do take vitamins that do not contain extra iron.

I believe getting old plays a part. Just so many heart beats in a life. The glands produce so many hormones before they play out. Also hormone production seems to be interrelated with other glands. Like in my case the pituitary is the master gland that controls other glands, like the thyroid. Without my medication, in one year I would not have the strength to walk and not live much longer. With the medications i live a fairly good life. What was the cause... Unknown, just fate.

When it comes to cancer, I believe all cancers are environmental. What we eat breath and on so on. I do not believe genetic traits cause cancer, but genetics can be a factor that let's others get it easier.

Genetics may play apart someday in prevention, like in the movie "Gattaca".

Reply to
Dan L

Well that can certainly be one of the reason for packing too much pork.

But I really don't see a whole of point in discussing it because it inevitably causes someone distress.

People are the weight they are. Some people eventually figure out what is causing it and can do something about it and do so. Others can't ever find a solution because there isn't necessarily one.

Reply to
FarmI

Here is what I can't figure out.......................How is it that America has the highest rate of obesity and the highest rate of hunger at the same time?

I won't even go in to my thyroid problems of 25 years

Reply to
mjciccarel

In my opinion...

Corn and wheat are heavily subsidized by the US government. Junk foods are cheap in the United States which are made mostly from corn and wheat. The poor in the U.S. can receive food subsidies also. High Fructose Corn Syrup is a very low cost sweetener, it is in everything here. If you are poor, the unhealthy junk foods are the foods of choice. The lowest cost meats are high in fat. Fructose does not cause an insulin reaction, it does not satisfy that hunger urge, you want to eat more. Sugar from cane cost more and not found as much in low cost foods, which does cause an insulin reaction. Fresh fruits and vegetables are not subsidized and cost a lot more. Junk foods are also not just for the poor also. Being fat or thin in the U.S. Is not an indicator of being wealthy. The home is a better indicator of wealth. I would also state that hunger and poverty do not always go hand in hand here.

Reply to
Dan L

That¹s because the current farm bill helps commodity farmers by cutting them a check based on how many bushels they can grow, rather than, say, by supporting prices and limiting production, as farm bills once did. The result? A food system awash in added sugars (derived from corn) and added fats (derived mainly from soy), as well as dirt-cheap meat and milk (derived from both). By comparison, the farm bill does almost nothing to support farmers growing fresh produce. A result of these policy choices is on stark display in your supermarket, where the real price of fruits and vegetables between 1985 and 2000 increased by nearly

40 percent while the real price of soft drinks (a k a liquid corn) declined by 23 percent. The reason the least healthful calories in the supermarket are the cheapest is that those are the ones the farm bill encourages farmers to grow.
Reply to
Billy

T3 output drops after two weeks of very low calorie and/or very low carb dieting. That gives a definite relationship between low carbing and reduced thyroid output. It's why any good low carb plan only stays very low for two weeks (with assorted caveats).

Reply to
Doug Freyburger

You pose the question in a way that suggests you know the answer.

Reply to
phorbin

My wife was in a car accident about a month ago. Waiting at an intersection when an accident occurred. Her side view came in and hit her in the face. Much glass and cuts. Sent to hospital where a cat scan said she was OK. Three weeks later looking at the scan the Doc's said nodules on the thyroid and should be checked out. This why my thyroid interest. Ingrid is 63 but due to a nasty burn on her chin age 3 she was irradiated on her chin as standard procedure 50 years ago. Pulled an Iron that hit her while her mom was ironing.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Hope for the best and things go well.

Reply to
Dan L

I will agree with you that obesity is not a sloth issue. It is a strong desire to eat! Does hormones have an effect on weight, I would say yes, However, the food industry has also made the foods tastier and more convenient and tastier also tends towards high salt, sweet and high

Reply to
daviddwilson

A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain

Posted March 22, 2010; 10:00 a.m.

by Hilary Parker A Princeton University research team has demonstrated that all sweeteners are not equal when it comes to weight gain: Rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same.

Reply to
Billy