It's Peas!!

Picked peas today! Yay! Little Marvel, 133 of them planted 2/1. If it's peas today, can green beans be far behind? Oh, and the Red Creole onions are bulbing very nicely. Last year's got a late start and were tiny little things but very very good. Looking forward to better results this year. And the garlic continues. I'm feeling cloves but haven't looked yet. Still, I'm not sure that dedicating a bed in my small garden to something that takes as long as garlic is such a good idea. Shoot, I could be starting a second crop in that bed in the length of time the stuff's been in already and harvest time really is too far along in the year to start something else before fall. The thought of leaving a bed fallow for even a couple of weeks already has me cringing. It must be summer because, yesterday, I heard the first great crested flycatcher of the year. Haven't seen one yet, though

Reply to
Derald

I started peas some time ago, but they were slow to really start growing. In the ground in the garden, they're simply not doing the type of growing they managed last year.

I'm a fan of sugar snap type. Have snow and garden (shelling) peas as well, and a Blue-podded variety.

I look forward to starting my beans (have some in trays in the greenhouse now). Last year, we were swimming in them, and I've expanded the space dedicated to beans this year, nearly exclusively pole beans (except for a short row of soybeans, which I really wish were a pole plant).

I don't have your garden, so I can't speak for how much space is or isn't used by it, but I've not been disappointed in growing garlic. It doens't take all that much space though. Well, 5-10 lbs yeild doesn't, at least.

I have half a 4x8 foot raised bed dedicated to shallots - between 80 and 100 plants. They replicate and bunch up.

Reply to
Sean Straw

Yes. I have some Sustainable Seed Co, but the vast majority of my seed stock comes from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds -- about 3 years ago, they opened the "Seed Bank" store in town. You can walk in, and there's some 1,300 heirloom seed varieties to paw through. The owner/founder spends several months out of the year here as well.

Ah, had some of those in the garden last year.

Metal? Using corrugated or galv sheet, or? How do you affix the sides together? I might be tempted to use pop rivets.

Reply to
Sean Straw

i first read that as "Pickled peas", ha, ok...

sure hope so!

if they are getting close to being done there is no harm in starting the next crop in between. and like i said elsewheres it is no sin to have a small clove of garlic. just replant and grow out further the next season. after all that is how they grow normally without being pumped full of compost, regular watering and all that fake namby pamby gardening stuff... next thing ya know people will be using dirt of all things! ;^) (i did miss april fools pranks didn't i?)

it's getting closer here, seen two snakes the other day when walking around.

songbird

Reply to
songbird