It's official

Its now Spring since it's 1 September today.

But I knew it was Spring before the date arrived because of all the blossoms and the growth. From now on it's all on for young and old. I have got so much to do that I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Reply to
Farm1

Well I have the watering system going as we have warmth but no water. I would really like my trees to make fruit but with no water it's not happening. Still dragging heavy hoses about - come the revolution........

David Hare-Scott

I thought this subject was something else - hottest winter on record.

David Hare-Scott

We won't have Spring in USA until the equinox. Although, early mornings are a bit cooler now in this part of Florida we continue with summer weather. This morning is typical: Temperature 31 (looks like about 87-88 "real"); moderate rainfall in mid-morning, coincidental with bright sunshine. Late season wildflowers are just coming in well. Cowpeas, okra, eggplant (aubergine) and peppers are still going full force in the garden while a third planting of snapbeans is coming along and ready for mulch. I'm perversely hoping they'll finish up by the end of September but they may stretch into October. I'd had my eye on their bed for some of this fall's garlic but plans are changing because by the time the beans have finished up, there won't be adequate time left to prep the bed for garlic; maybe, that bed will be onions. With nine small raised beds and a gaggle of stand alone containers, one often plays musical beds.... Like you, I still have very much to do before fall planting time, which is nearly upon us. If I can get English peas into the ground by the end of this month or by early October -- when the days cool a bit -- I should have plenty of peas before frost damage becomes a serious threat. My dilemma is whether to continue to nurse the indeterminate tomatoes through the remaining hot weather in hopes they'll rejuvenate and resume bearing in more temperate days or just to compost them, reclaim their space, and start fresh with new stock elsewhere in the garden in a few weeks. Three beds are ready to prep and a fourth will be so in a few weeks, when the butter beans are finished. On hand are two loads of prime horse manure, about a half load of chicken manure, a load of spoiled hay, decent amount of compost and about a half load of chopped oak leaves. FWIW: A "load" is a "full size" US pickup truck filled to the top of the side rails. That volume is roughly a half cord = 64 cubic feet = 1.8 cubic meter. I just received word of a talapia ("nile perch") farmer only a couple of miles distant who makes waste and fish emulsion available so I guess it's time to go make a friend, although, my hope is that he'll settle for cash.

Reply to
Derald

We won't have Autumn until the equinox, too! LOL

Reply to
Derald

First find your peasants :-)) It's not overly dry here but in comparison to South Oz and all parts west of Wagga, it'd rate as being very dry.

SA and the Hay plains looked gloriously, lushly green when we were over that way a few weeks ago for an old car rally - almost English green. I spewed a lot as a consequence

Reply to
Farm1

Yes, I heard that. And like lemmings we, as a species, will do nothing effective about it........................

Reply to
Farm1

me too, but not because of needing to get gardens caught up on or harvesting, but because i got tagged by pneumonia (of all things).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I won't have it. We shall embrace the chaos, and die a gloriously pointless, avoidable death that shall set a standard by which future anthropologists will rate the stupidity of other sentient species.

Reply to
Billy