Indoor Herb Garden naivete

I am hoping that someone can help me because I am completely clueless right now. I want to start a windowsill herb garden and just received seeds in the mail. The seeds came with Jiffy Peat pellets, but I am not sure what to do with the pellets. Are they the best medium in which to plant the seeds? Or should I be going out to buy soil? Any help would be appreciated!

Reply to
Amy

What herbs are you growing,what size container do you plan to put them in, and how much space do you have? You can use the peat pots to start the herbs, but at some point they'll have to be transplanted to something larger, and it might be simpler to start them in the larger container and not worry about transplanting.

I start some things in peat pots if I'm pressed for space on my seed starting stand, but I prefer to start them in something larger. A plastic, disposable 16 oz cup works very well for most things.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

I a received an assortment of seeds, but am most excited about the basics: chives, basil, rosemary...as I said, I am very new to this. I was given small terra cotta pots, but I don't know whether the herbs would do well in them. If I was to use the terra cotta pots can I just put the Jiffy pellets inside of the pots? Are they meant for that use? And should I start the seeds in a cup, as you suggested, and THEN transfer them to the pot?

Thank you for your help!!

You can

Reply to
Amy