Herb Gardening

Greetings to all. I am new to the forum. A while back I discovered the rewards of herb gardening. Vegetables were always my first choice when it came to gardening but they can't compare with the fun and excitement of raising herbs. They can make your food taste better, provide medicinal cures, charm you with fragrant aromas, enhance your landscape and help out with pest control in the garden. So why don't you start your herb garden today?

Reply to
MackW

Because we're 9 days from the beginning of winter. What would you suggest I start with, 9 days before the beginning of winter?

Reply to
Wildbilly

I was just visiting with some of the herbs. It's in the 40's this morning after 20's and 30's for days. The rue, sage, rosemary, yarrow, comfrey (surprised - that's usually gone this time of year), parsley, oregano (I suppose - I didn't drop by the oregano/garlic chives area) and catnip are all doing well and lovely to see against the brownish background. The passionflower is just about dormant, probably planning the conquering of the universe next year, as opposed to just our little section of it. I've seen a few brave dandelions trying to bloom in my day to day travels.

Inside the aloe veras and bay tree have the challenge of living inside for the winter with a young cat who seems to think having dirt and plants inside is one of the best things in the world. She gets smelly poop from nibbling on the aloes. Silly girl.

Reply to
kate

Well I'm at the start of summer, but since I've been growing and using herbs for decades, I'm not sure why I'm being told to 'start' a herb garden today. I suppose I could go out and divide some up and spread some around.

Reply to
FarmI

The wording from the OP looks like some kind of spam for a blog or herb farm but he forgot the URL. Maybe he is genuine but happens to write in a way that sounds like advertising copy.

Must stop being so sceptical. One day. Christmas day perhaps.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Same thought here. The ground here is frozen, hard as a rock :) Winter is the best time for reading and planning for the spring.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.