I need blackberry help

Hi All,

I can't get my blackberry seeds to grow anywhere, except this one little sprouting pot.

Question: are these sprouts really blackberries, or has I been nurturing a bunch of WEEDS?

If they are black berries, how soon do I transplant them? They still look pretty fragile.

Many thanks,

-T

  Those ain't blackberries ... ours here (wild , but should hold true) have squared stems and the leaves are more heart-shaped with sawtooth edges . You'd probably be better off buying a plant from a local nursery , they do spread readily . A fruit farm near here grows them , they hold them between a pair of wires , trim the new growth each year to just above the wires , and relentlessly clip suckers and dead canes . If those weren't a patented variety I'd have brought some shoots home from the pruning class we had there ... berries bigger than your thumb and no thorns .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

That picture is likely of purslane.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

T wrote: ...

i only know them here as woodland edge plants that like to be in clearings made from fires or whatever.

i've not ever heard of anyone growing them in arid climate. not that it is impossible, but just seems like you may be forcing square peg into too small a round hole.

just my guess, perhaps others will have a better take on it...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Those aren't blackberries. They look like a broad-leaf succulent moss rose.

Reply to
Muggles

yeah ... that's it ... kind of a cousin to moss rose.

Reply to
Muggles

About ten years ago, I found several red raspberry patches while kayaking along the Susquehanna River. I dug up a few plants and transplanted them next to my garden. They didn't do well in captivity.

I also tried planting some of the seeds, which sprouted but then died out.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Bugger !!!!!

This is the critter. And I finally found someone that does plants. I have zero luck with berry seeds.

It says zone 5 to 9 and I am 6b.

I am all ears to any zone 6b berries!

BUGGER !!!!

At least Purslane is edible.

you should know what purslane looks like by now? i thought you grew a lot of it?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Pavel314 wrote: ...

they may if transplanted into a pot first and then grown out before replanting.

note that black raspberry and red raspberry are quite different plants than blackberry...

we can find red and black raspberries growing in almost any sandy field that's been left to get overgrown a bit. the birds move seeds all over. we have wild red raspberries all around us. probably brought in from the neighbor's patch that they grew for many years.

blackberries i love but won't likely ever grow them. blueberries are much further up my list of someday plants.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

You wouldn't happen to know anyone who grows bilberries for sale?

It is similar looking in some respects, but not how it looks as a sprout. For starters, purslane sprouts are red.

The guys are getting big enough that they are starting to form the second growth of leaves, so ....

And purslane sprouts have much thicker stocks and their leaves are rolled up pointing skyward (and are red). The tops of mature purslane comes in three, fours and fives for pedals, not perfect fours.

That being said, the pedals on these things I am nursing look EXACTLY like purslane pedals.

It won't hurt me to keep nursing them If they turn out to be purslane, I will just eat them. I want to wait until they start growing mature leaves and drop their baby leaves.

no, i've never looked for them, but a quick search did find suppliers so you should be able to find someone...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

given different conditions some plants can appear quite different.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I couldn't find any. Just seed supplier. What search did you use?

The bigger they get, the more they look like purslane too.

Seems there is a BIG difference between wild purslane and pampered purslane!

in looking at the places that had them i noticed that they all said what i suspected, these are wet/moisture loving plants that grow naturally near bogs and probably also need sandy acidic soil. i kinda doubt that you'll have very good luck growing them in an arid climate with alkaline soil.

songbird

Reply to
songbird