Blackberry update

The berry patch looks like a a snowdrift ... They're blooming like mad , and they're loaded with fruit . It looks like clumping them is going to make it a lot easier to harvest them . Actually , it's going to be a good year for all the wil;d fruits here . Muscadines are loaded with fruit , blueberries

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I've not seen a low bush huckleberry in about 50 years or more. I reckon in my part of SE Texas the locals got carried away with mowing and clearing. I used to love those things back in the forties and fifties, we had never heard of or seen a real blueberry back then. We used to harvest Mayflowers too. Muscadines are always good, we also had a wild grape, rather small, that we called a Possum grape because the possums were always in them. I'm jealous.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

We have possum grapes here too , but I haven't seen any on our land - doesn't mean there aren't any , just that I haven't seen 'em . I plan to rectify that situation . The neighbor down the road has a nice patch at the foot of his driveway , when the time is right I'll be getting a start from him . Actually , I think I can clip a stem at any time and dip it in rooting powder ... but right now I have my plate somewhat overloaded , with the garden , the orchard , and building a house - plus running the machine shop part time .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I got tired just reading that last paragraph. Many years ago I had the stamina to work an eight-hour shift in a chemical plant, come home and work another eight hours in my gun shop, get up the next morning and take care of ten acres with goats, cows, chickens, ducks, rabbits and about a three acre garden. Thought nothing of it then, would kill me quickly at nearly 75 years of age. To many years sitting in management chairs. Now we're gardening a small backyard with 128 square foot of raised beds, two feet wide by 66 feet long along the fence angle, and a small flower bed with Swiss chard as a backing in the front along with a pear tree in front and a kumquat and a fig tree in the back. Sometimes I miss all that work that kept me in fairly good shape and then I think, "Nah, don't need all that stuff anymore, been there, done that." I'm teaching the grands and great grands how to do all the stuff I learned over the years and enjoying the hell out of it. I'll leave the heavy stuff to you young people.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Young people ? I just retired ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Dependent upon health and vitality you could still be a kid. I retired 01/01/2007 and immediately started doing technical writing in my field. I was a safety professional in the petrochemical industry from

1976 until I retired. Still miss it sometimes, a retirement with nothing to do would be very boring IMHO. Hang in there with the gardening. We just moved to this place in December 2012, I'm already looking for a bigger piece of ground and no Homeowner's Association, got to still be some "freedom ground" in Harris County, Texas.

George, running the soaker hoses again, it is hot here

Reply to
George Shirley