Blackberry Bushes

Just yesterday, I picked a gallon of blackberries from my father-in-law's six bushes. These are a unknown, thorned variety.

I would like to grow my own. Can anyone recommend a variety and a reputible supplier?

I live in Southern New Jersey, zone 7a or 6b depending on which map you follow.

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Hi All,

Can you not take a cutting or better still a piece of root from your farther-in-laws bushes. It is dead easy to root. The only problem is if you want to get rid of it as it will spread everywere. One shure fire way to root it is to take a branch and peg it to the ground untill it roots, then cut it off and you have anew plant. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

.
Reply to
R M. Watkin

I'm growing Triple Crown, a thornless variety I got from Stark Brothers Nursery in Louisiana, MO. Planted them in January and picked a very small crop of berries in April. They are low growing and fairly easy to train. The six plants I planted in January have taken up about 20 feet of prepared bed now. I'm looking forward to a large crop next spring. I live in USDA Zone 9b so your mileage may vary.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

I was planning to some root from my father-in-laws bunch to start one or two.

I was thinking also of trying one or two other varieties. Unfortuneatly, my f-i-l doesn't know what variety he has. It is an upright, non-thorning.

Doing some web research, the "Triple Crown" cultiver looks interesting to me. It seems to consistently rank best in flavor. Does anyone know how winter hardy this trailing variety is? I am in zone 7/6b depending on which map you are looking at.

Thank you,

Tim S.NewJersey

Reply to
Tim