possible death of far too many houseplants........

Well, I wrote about the cold-assed back porch and the hopes that the eastern, southern, and western sunlight would keep the cacti, succulents and tropicals at a good temperature. I think I mentioned that there was ice in the animal watering tray, but I attributed that to it being on the floor and a thin amount of water spilled........moved ALL the cacti and inhabitants downstairs to the cold foyer, that doesn't freeze, and today I see horrible signs of death and mushiness. After Thanksgiving I will know more as to the magnatude of destruction I have caused due to not paying closer attention. Sure I've not experienced a winter here before, but you'd think I'd have used common sense.........even the sanseveria's are limp. I'm hoping if the ends of the plants are toast, at least the roots are alright as I hadn't watered anyone lately. Lets hope. If I lost the amount I fear I have I will have to chalk it up to a MASSIVE LESSION LEARNED. More updates at a later time. Have a happy Thanksgiving and I look forwards to hearing from my gardening friends over the hedges and fences. On a good note, we're getting some massivly needed rain today!! So there is that. Madgardener killing plants in the greene bowl in northeastern Tennessee zone 7 with temperatures below normal

Reply to
madgardener1

If you just take off the mushy part the plants are usually fine. Anything not mushy should be fine. Relax, they're pretty hard to kill. Do you have bright light indoors? Sometimes overhead protection is enough to save them. Good luck, L

Reply to
Laura at theGardenPages

thanks Laura. I kinda figured if I was patient, and waited for the deffinate signs of death or at least leaf die off, I'd see what had gotten freeze burnt. I hadn't watered the cacti and succulents in a few, and hoped more than anything that the roots were fine. the tradescanthia or "Cherokee pipe" that I'd replaced after years of sharing pieces might have succumbed, but I believe I have another piece of it that is fine. It's all part of what gardeners experience, I just couldn't believe that I'd waited until a freeze on the unknown conditions of the back porch forced my hand. Live and learn, eh? the bulk of the unusual sanseveria's I'd brought into a low light eastern facing room that has no heat, more of a perfect place for the clivia to winter out, actually. no freezing but damn cold nevertheless. The rest of the "rescued" plants I put in the cold foyer get hard indirect southern light and that will have to do for now until I rearrange the rack possibly in the dining room. I think that cooler and dryer would be better on the cacti and succulents than warmer and dryer.....I was actually thinking of investing in a grow stick light to put up for supplimental light, they're not too expensive and there is an outlet in the foyer downstairs leading to our unheated six rooms of this rental house we're in at the moment. Had I thought about it, I'd not left the three kerosene heaters at the previous house where I used to live.....(I had a heat pump in the house, so the kerosene heaters were stored in the outbuilding where someone relieved me of them, ah hope they have served a good purpose whomever got them) and the three, five gallon containers I used to get kerosene in were actually still there when I had to move in April. when you have to pack 30+ years and leave, you don't always have a chance to leisurely do it. I have enough plants to keep me happy and growing through the winter months and some that I have cared for and loved now for well over 20 years into the first quarter century! I'll keep interested gardeners posted on success and failures, as I learn from them all. Thanks for getting back to me and giving me encouragment. maddie up in upper northeastern Tennessee zone 7a

Reply to
madgardener1