Shower too far from Water Heater; should I install an autocirc pump or point of use?

Hi, I am doing an extensive remodel. The main shower is at least 60 feet from the 40 gal.(electric) water heater. I would like to have hot water available without waiting or using up too much water. I could install a 30 gal heater near the bathroom and replumb the two lavatories and shower. I also thought about using a point of use (elec) type heater to boost the water temp until the water from the tank caught up. Has anyone used one of these? I have considered the AutoCirc pump that recirculates the hot water into the cold water line. I don't know if I like putting the water from the HW tank into the cold water line. Our water has a lot of minerals in it. Has anyone used this? It claims to save money but I do not see how it would save electricity. I figured it would save about $2.50 per month in water. I am reluctant to install another water heater since this might also cost quite a lot more per year in Electricity. (Gas is not available). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
CactusPatch

A point of use elec could get real hot once the tank water caught up in the line, unless new ones regulate output fast enough. My gas unit goes on temp rise , not output temp. Recirclator pumps waist alot of energy keeping pipes hot. Cant you move your present unit. Or be sure in your tankless unit it regulates at output temp and you have a shower valves thats balances temperature.

Reply to
m Ransley

How about using a dedicated 3/8" line to just the shower from near the existing water heater. It will not take all that long to get hot water that way.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
William Brown

The house is single story, slab on grade with at flat roof (i.e. no basement, no attic!). The supply piping is under the slab. I really can't move the main water heater. It is in the laundry room adjacent to the garage. I think it would be difficult to put a new line back to the water heater (that is ripping up ceilings along the way). The recirculation pump I am considering is AutoCirc (see autocirc.com). Has anyone used this? Thanks

Reply to
CactusPatch

Install a thermosiphon. No moving parts and easy to do.

RB

CactusPatch wrote:

Reply to
RB

What about putting the recirlator pump on a timer. Turn it let it run 15min have hot water. Use less pump time and less heat loss.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Rushing

Might consider going to a quarter inch pipe with no abrupt angles, with one per hot-water-using faucet. Takes a lot less time to clear the colder water out of it. That's the way I did it in the country where we were operating off a cistern. Consider how much opening the faucet orifice has. A lot less expense to try the 1/4" pipe to a point close to the fixture.

Reply to
Michael Baugh