Space Heating Question.

I posted this question in another thread but figured i'd try it on its own in case some "electrical" people didn't bother to read it..

Can someone recommend a good, efficient electric space heater to heat around 600 sq ft in a very cold environ? Preferably something that doesn't require running more juice (than

15-20a). Is this even possible with those requirements?

Room is 25x28x7' and top floor of a converted barn. All windows will be fully insulated "to the teeth".

average outdoor temp is probably about 10f- hoping for an indoor temp of about 65-68f.

Thanks for all suggestions..

Cheers,

-sd

Some Dude

All elec heaters are 100% efficient, ones with fans have that energy waisted, usualy 100 watt. It all depends on your insulation and where you live as to what you need, get a pro out to look at your location.

Reply to
m Ransley

a 100 watt incandesant bulb is a 90 watt electric heater that puts out

10 watts of light , so 13 bulbs = a 15amp electric heater,
Reply to
m Ransley

It won't work. The most you can get from a typical 15 amp electric circuit is a 1500 watt heater. That puts out 5122 Btu. You probably need 30,000 Btu or more to get the temperature rise you want. The actual heat load can be calculated and that will be a start to see what you really need. .

Consider a small propane heater or even a small oil/kerosene heater. I use a 30,000 Btu heater in my semi insulated detached garage. When the temperature is the 10F you mention, I don't even try to heat it. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Basic electric heater are all 100% efficient. Only difference is when you go to heat pumps.

That is a rather big space and I am going to guess you are going to need more heat than you are going to get from the existing wiring. You just can't get the needed amount of heat.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you have a 100 watt lamp the emits 10 watts of light you should quickly patent it and start preparing to retire.

RB

m Ransley wrote:

Reply to
RB

I'll pipe it outside, lease a 100 gal tank and buy a 30,000btu Radiant heater...

cheaper and makes more sense...

I decided this when I found out that power in this place is 11.7cents per kwh. At that point it was a no-brainer.

Cheers,

-sd

Some Dude