3m indoor window insulation kit....good..bad...ugly?

Hi-

I have a studio- about 600 sq ft with 4 big windows- of which all are quite old and leak like a siv.

I am about to seal them (along with two skylights) for the rest of the winter (sometimes it gets -15 at night where I live all the way until May). I was wondering how well this 3m stuff works based on those with experience...

After I insulate this I intend to space heat it electrically and due to the sheer cold I'll do whatever it takes to keep the heat in and the cold out. The rafters, etc are all pretty well insulated with fibreglass, etc. Floors are sealed as well (upstairs room).

Also- on a sidenote- can someone recommend a good, efficient electric space heater to heat around 600 sq ft in a very cold environ? Preferably something that doesn't require running more juice (than

15-20a). Is this even possible with those requirements?

Thanks!

Cheers,

-sd

Some Dude

Michael Shaffer

with a low of -15 i would just get some inulation batts and fill up the glass area and then cover the inside with some plastic visquine and leave it there and get your light if needed from electric lights... sure would be alot warmer...

Reply to
jim

The 3m indoor window insulation works very well. I use it on singlepane metal frame windows and it really seals well. Take your time, follow directions and you will not even know it is there.

Reply to
ROBMURR

I use the 3M stuff here (near Boston, MA) and it's always worked out well. Not only keeps out the drafts, but also keeps room air from hitting the glass and setting up cold downdrafts. Use the 3M--cheaper stuff like Frost King _is_ cheaper and FK's tape gives me a lot of trouble with the backing breaking, whereas 3M's tape's backing pulls off nicely in one piece. I usually buy the patio door size which gives me enough for several windows. You'll always need to buy more tape.

Like another poster noted, sometimes the plastic sheet will be stuck to itself through electrostatic attraction and it's a real pain to separate it when you first take it out of the box. I make two rings of duct tape with the sticky side out, put the two rings opposite each other on the plastic sheet, and use them as handles to open up the plastic.

Don't forget to calk around the sides of the window frames and where the windows meet the wall. I use some stuff called "rope calk" and there's other sealants and calks that would work equally well.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
(none)

Thanks everyone for the tips..I'll aggregate them all into one good plan :)

Cheers,

-sd

Some Dude