Banging pipe question again.

I only get a rattle in my water pipe when I turn the hot water on and off. What can I do to stop it? Thanks

Reply to
Ace

Stop turning the hot water on and off, open the walls up and fasten the pipes in place with nylon stand-offs, and/or install a water-hammer-arrestor near the end of the pipe-run.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

Default gave you good advice. I will add one thing.

You may get lucky and you can fix it in a couple of minutes with no cost. Turn the water heater off. Shut off the water inlet valve. Put a drain hose on the drain valve and crack the valve. Go around and crack all the hot water valves that cause that problem. You may want to open a few others as well. Give it a few minutes.

Shut off the drain valve, turn the inlet valve again, gently until you get the air out of all the pipes, Shut the valves off and open the water inlet valve and turn the water heater back on.

You will have cleaned out your water heater and the water hammer may be gone.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
nospambob

Couple of good answers you've gotten. I'd suggest calling a plumber (or two or three) and ask their opinions. Most of the time phone calls are free.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon