Tankless Water Heater Install Question

I recently purchased a Takagi TK1S, I am preparing to have this installed soon. My question is this: my existing tank (located in my basement) has 3" exhaust that goes into the chiminey stack, can the new venting replace this? Does the venting only need to enter the stack or does it need to be piped all the way to the roof? I hope this makes sense. I have a couple photos if that will help, unfortunately I cannot post them here, so I will email if needed. Thank you.

-Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

If it is anything like my installation you are going to need the big vent all the way to the top. Tankless water heaters crank out a lot of BTU's so they need a large pipe to vent them. Look at the installation instructions that came with your unit for the proper size of the vent.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

you need LARGE input gas line probably starting at meter and large vent pipe.

Sadly you will save little energy, no money once you upgrade everthing so the tankless works./

If your tankless requires a pwer cord, no power cold shower.

with a tank type heater theres still some hot water for a bath or shower or two

why did you buy a tankless?

Reply to
hallerb

I converted from an electric. I was told that they used less energy, but since I didn't have a gas tank I had nothing to compare. I do really like the fact that I don't ever run out of hot water, but the maintenance is a pain. It is also annoying when you are in the shower and someone else uses water.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Let us know how the installation went/ how things are working.

I'm considering an installtion on a major renovatin. How did you decide on a Takagi vs. Bosch, etc?

Good luck!

Reply to
TheWalkman

Backflushing the heat exchanger once a year isn't much maintenance for a tankless, either. Maybe 20 minutes a year. Hardly something I'd consider significant in selecting a water heater, but it's the only regular maintenance my Takagi requires.

Reply to
<josh