Shrub ID Please

I'd been over this with some other people and so far have not gotten a proper ID yet. Can someone let me know what the heck this thing is?

for any help!

Posted by NewsLook (Trial Licence) from

Scott Hildenbrand

I tend to agree about it being a Hypericum, the common name is St. John's Wort shrub. There is also a more prostrate variety of St. John's Wort. Older shrubs have wonderful exfoliating bark on the shrub's stems and the flowers attract all manner of teensy to bumblie bee sized pollinators. It's wonderful in bloom for about four weeks more or less depending on the heat at the time of blossom. I had a most magnificent shrub I'd gotten at Holbrook Farms that used to be in business in North Carolina and it had 13 years to grow into a most impressive specimen. It doesn't get more than eight feet tall and five foot wide at maturity, and mine was finally gaining it's limitations when I had to move and dug it up. It seperated into four distinct shrublets, but have lost all of them due to not being where they were to maintain them with watering until I could plant them into the soil again. Mine liked dappled eastern/southern light, it didn't mind clay soil, but I top dressed it with compost, which it loved more it seemed. Hope this clears more up. madgardener up in the green bowl in Eastern Tennessee gardening in zone 6b- 7a

Reply to
madgardener1