Plant ID please

Hey Digi, where are you? It could make a difference. Also, a shot of the leaves and the height....

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Hi I am new to the forum and I have just moved to a new house and was wondering if you could help me ID this plant please ?

[image:
If I have posted this in the wrong place I am sorry and please feel free to move the thread,

Thanks

Digi.

Reply to
Digi

Penta??

-Toni

Reply to
Buderschnookie

[image:
> If I have posted this in the wrong place I am sorry and please feel

It looks rather like Jupiter's Beard aka Red Valerian. Centranthus ruber. Without leaf closeup as Cheryl says, it is difficult to say for sure, but the foliage looks almost right from what I can see. Toni, the flowers don't look quite right for Pentas, which have very precise

5 petalled "stars" if I remember correctly?

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

You can see my Red Valerian for comparison.

Without leaf closeup as Cheryl says, it is difficult to say for sure, > but the

Reply to
Billy

[image:

I second this ID.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

That was my first thought as well.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I'd seen these at Lowes for 50 cents each and decided to pick some up. They have a woody stem to them and do not look like annuals at all so I thought I'd take my chances and pick them up.

Size is about 12" tall by 12-16" wide, variegated leaves, semi hardwood branching.

1024x768
've picked up alot of fun plants from the "OMG, I'm almost DEAD!" rack at Lowes for dirt cheap. So long as they're just badly treated perennials, it's well worth it.

This one however is dirt cheap, but only because they don't have a flippin' clue what it is. All that's on the pot is "Accent", which doesn't tell much.

Anyway, thanks tons for any help.. :)

Reply to
scott

Looks like a Itea

Cheryl Isaak

Hey Cheryl.. Long time to chit-chat.. :)

Thanks for the guess, not sure if it fits though.

Shot with a $1 for size ref.

leaves are narrow and smooth along the side, older leaves seem to broaden and develop a rough edge as seen at the bottom of the bill.

Reply to
Hildenbrands

You will want to keep the old flowers deadheaded as it can produce a profusion of seedlings. It's a great plant to attract Butterflies! Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

No clues then - useful reference though.

My thought had been a variant of the Henry's Garnet. Mine has kept the tiny leaves.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I had a second thought - could it be one of the "Feelings" phlox - the red cultivar?

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Nothing very scientific, just rather a guess

  1. Euonymous leaves would be alternate on stem
  2. Eleagnus leaves would be opposite on stem maybe Maculata Emilie
Reply to
mleblanca