Plant ID please

We have a plant in our garden, a perennial, which we don't know. We would like someone to identify it for us. Its petals are tiny white, and they close at the end of the day...... Thank you !

Ben Tuinman

It looks like star of bethlehem (or just star flower), Ornithogalum umbellatum. sed5555

Reply to
Sed5555

Maybe this:

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

escapee

paghat

Thanks everyone for the reply to my request. I think we have come to the conclusion that the plant in our garden is the "Rain Lily". Ben.

Reply to
Ben Tuinman

Actually it's Iphion uniflorum, aka Spring Starflower.

I have masses of them in my own garden.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

From the pictures I think it is more likely Ornithogalum umbellatum (Star of Bethlehem) which I have in several places in my yard. Hard to know without a closer view, but the way the flowers close and the way the flowers come off the stem in the second picture really makes me think that is what it is.

Reply to
griffon

So do I, but I stick by it being a Rainlily. Here's Ipheon for comparison:

flowers are more cupped, with three petals inside three petals, vs the evenly displayed petals (& smaller grass) of the rainlily.

-paggers

Reply to
paghat

Star of bethlehem is what it looks like to me. I have one like it in my yard. It's pretty commonly found in older yards, along with grape hyacinth plants and bishops' weed, which *might* be what I see in the background in the side view of the nearly closed flowers. But I can't see enough of it to tell for sure, could be any number of variegated plants.

Ornithogalum umbellatum

It's also listed as a poisonous plant pest. I know they spread easily, didn't know they were poisonous, so keep them away from kids and out of pastures and pets that like to eat everything.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

This has been very confusing to us ! Both species : "Star of Bethlehem", and "Rain-lily" look much the same. First we thought that ours might be a Rain-lily, but.... after closer examination of the many photos on diff. websites........we are now leaning towards the Star of Bethlehem after all. Thanks to all of you who have responded ! Ben.

Reply to
Ben Tuinman