gumosis

I have a 15 month plum tree with severe gumosis. If I remove it, can I replant another plum tree in the same soil? Thank you.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Tsakiris

It's been a while since you asked that. I wonder if you will be back to read this?

I would answer "probably". Gummosis is more of a symptom than a disease. Some people call oozing sap caused by insect damage gummosis. I prefer to reserve the term for leaking sap caused by bacterial or fungal diseases. Replanting depends on what caused it. Obviously, if it was insects, the outlook is great as long as you control the insects on the new tree. Fungus or bacteria is a little harder to deal with. I doubt if remaining roots or infected soil is something to worry about. However, if the infection found your first tree, it may find the next one too (whether you plant in the same spot or 10 feet away). It might help if you plant a different variety. By the way, what kind of plum was it?

Steve

Reply to
Steve