goats

does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and flower beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but they just run right thru it like it doesn't bother them. hate to have to sell them, as they were gifts to my son from my grandfather before he passed away. just hate them eating all my plants!

thanks............

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

Uh, build a pen???

Reply to
Omelet

uh - they were/are in a pen. they run thru it. tried electric, chicken wire, wire panels, and wood fencing. they either run thru or jump over. and these goats can jump. caught one of them on top of our horse trailer and then again on top of the round hay baler.

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

The pen needs a roof.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's goat-free Far East.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

You must be the person who didn't have any problems.

How about, attach an anchor? I hate to bring them down but they seem like they are having way too much fun. Is there a ng for animal husbandry? How old are they? Maybe they will become domesticated? Turn up the amperage.

I'm sure they are just as cute as buttons.

William Rose

Mm, I used to raise Nubians and Saanens.

I was able to keep them penned.

Build the fences HIGHER!

Cattle panels are cheap, and 4' high.

I just used 6', 2" x 4" mesh farm fencing. Runs about $40.00 for 50 ft., welded wire. T-posts are cheap too. :-)

Place one ever 6 feet of linear fencing.

Works for emus too and they are worse than goats.

Reply to
Omelet

thanks............

We had goats at one time. Only field fence will keep them in, or out. Run a string of electric wire about 4" above the top. That will contain them.

Reply to
Manelli Family

thanks............

Goats, for some reason, wear heavy shaggy sweaters. Unless they put an exposed part of their body on the wire, it doesn't bother them to a degree for the proper response you're looking for. Most adequate electrical fencing for goats is low impedance, high energy. It uses an intermittent pulse, not constant energy. The wire is high tensile strength version.

2000 volts or better is recommended.

Dave

Might possibly be a wive's tale but ISTR reading that goats don't like to jump over fences if they can't see the landing zone.

Reply to
JustTom

Ha - maybe we should put blinders on these three then................in response to cloud dreamer - still trying to figure out how to roof in a half acre pasture..........

thanks anyways

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

No need to roof it over. Get 4' field fence and run an electric wire about 4 to 6" over the top. It will keep in the most determined goats.

Reply to
Manelli Family

Train them to strap collars, and then tether them. Make sure the ropes are too substantial to be chewed, and that there is nothing for the ropes to snag on. If there is any likelihood of the goats being spooked, by a dog especially, tie the ropes to an old bike tyre or similar which is in turn anchored --- so that there is some "give" in the restraint otherwise there is a possibility that when put to flight a goat might snap its neck as the rope snaps taut. (BTDT, sheep). Tied to a fence is best so that they can't go round and round (e.g., a pole) and wind the rope tightly.

Move the tethers a couple of times each day, ensuring access to water and shade is always available.

-- John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)

Reply to
John Savage

Goats are tricky. When I was a kid, we had this pygmy goat named Christopher who would ALWAYS get loose and go eat the neighbor's orchids. Didn't matter how he was tied up, he'd find a way out. My mother would have a collar on him and she'd have it on tight enough so he couldn't get it over his head, but not so tight his breathing would be affected, but he still got loose. Chains didn't work either. He'd find a way out. Didn't hesitate to butt either. Always had to keep a lookout when I was playing in the yard. One time I remember I got chased by him and I actually climbed up the SCREEN door(had that aluminum decorative stuff that I used to hold on to) and I think I remember mom chasing him off with a screwdriver(I'm not sure I'm remembering right 'bout the screwdriver because it doesn't make much sense, but that's how I remember it).

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

How about surrender? Make cheese and swap for veggies and flowers. I bet they are cute.

William Rose

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advise and the laughs. Due to money restrictions, i think we are going to try tethering them - might have to tie them to a cement block though!

Rachael Simpson

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

Tire with rims work for a lot of people.

Reply to
Omelet

Tethering goats? I've seen some success tethering them to old pickup trucks with the tires and rims removed. But with billy goats, even that is iffy.

Oh, don't use rope to tether them. They'll eat it. Use a chain and watch out that they don't get their little feet/legs boogered up in it. (Ask a goat person how to properly tether a goat. I'm a cow/horse/chicken/dog/cat person.)

Goats are *very* cool animals, but...

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

I used to raise goats back in high school. I liked them a lot (Nubians) but I'd never have another Billy goat unless I had a LOT more space!

Somewhere where I did not have to smell him. ;-)

Reply to
Omelet

Our problem is not billy goats - the horse took care of our billy.......... once upon a time we had 15 goats. they all stayed in place then. when the older goats died off - the younger ones started getting out. the billy still kept them in place so to speak. but then, he challenged the horse. the horse won. so now the remaining three nanny goats do whatever they please. and nothing seems to deter them from the garden. nothing other than killing or selling them anyways. very determined goats........will probably be up for sell soon. hear the goat sale is pulling pretty good prices.

thanks, rae

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

Following on from the poster with goats that slipped out of their collars: I wonder would it be possible to fit a goat with a large size dog lead of the type that fits around the shoulders and under the chest, rather than using a collar that goes around just the neck?

I'm also wondering aloud whether anyone has ever tried hobbles on goats? These are used on horses and camels to stop them taking large strides so they can be turned out at night to forage without wandering far. Would flexible straps connecting a goat's front legs work in stopping the animal climbing? It could take short steps, and still pronk, but probably would not be able to climb up wire netting. Hobbles would eliminate the need to move each animal's tether-point each day and to provide separate water sources. It might be worth consulting a vet on this, if it sounds feasible. I'd expect it would take a bit of getting used to, initially, and the hobbles would need to be expertly crafted and endorsed by a professional vet.

Reply to
John Savage