Squirell Control

I have these squirrels digging holes in my lawn all over the place. How do I control them, any repellant or spray to do this ? Thanks

Reply to
malam

No. There is nothing you can do, unless you live in an area where you've got a couple of miles of nothing in any direction so you can use a .22 rifle.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Get a cage trap. Bait with whole raw sunflower seeds. Dunk the entrapped vermin in a cheap plastic bin filled with water. Repeat.

Squirrels are very, very easy to trap.

Reply to
mike

Put a pile of tulip bulbs in the corner of the yard and see if they'll plant any of them.

Reply to
franz frippl

This works for me-

$100 at Walmart- head shots at 50 yards. They taste pretty good in spaghetti sauce.

Check your local ordinances for firing pellet guns - and for legality of removing pests/seasons, etc..

If you can't shoot 'em - try 'Liquid Fence' -

The 'Deer & Rabbit' stopped a woodchuck from chewing off my peas this spring.

They don't list squirrels in their 'pests' - so maybe squirrels don't respond to smells as much as all the other pests they list.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Get a cat.

Reply to
<h>

Air Rifle, Sheridan 5mm, 5 pumps.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Reply to
Eric in North TX

a nice barking dog will discourage squirrels......

find out what they are eating in your yard, food source gone squirrels will leave too

Reply to
hallerb

ive been watching the grays quirrells in my yard .they dig holes to bury stuff and find stuff buried. they bury walnuts and forget where they are and a tree grows. they go in my garage and leave walnuts in there.once one got in the walls of the house and came out in the closet.that was fun. they can go about anywhere they want if theres an opening . unless you got a dog or cat that will chasem all day long only other thing to do is trap them and relocate or kill them. i see the holes being dug now, but fall is abot the only time it gets real noticeable .we got hundreds of em in the area.i like em..lucas

ds549

You&#39;re in luck. Now, in most places, is SQUIRREL HUNTING SEASON and runs through, generally, February.

Killing, trapping, or bothering squirrels otherwise is against the law.

You&#39;ll need:

Hunting license Possibly a firearm familiarization class Day-glo clothing Suitable armament Squirrel call Decoys A squirrel blind Suitable weapon (some are not allowed, such as bow and arrow, trebuchets, etc.)

Good luck.

Reply to
HeyBub

A squirrel call? He&#39;s already got plenty of them. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" chimed in with:

I beg to challenge that statement. See here:

or perhaps an older .22 that takes short, long, and LR and use this stuff:

Caution must still be employed however...

BTW - are you sure it is the squirrels digging the holes and not chipmunks, moles, skunks, etc?

Reply to
Jackson

For a practice target?

Reply to
Jackson

Keep in mind that 54% of the population is too stupid to operate a spoon. While it&#39;s possible in a typical suburban neighborhood to evaluate a target and determine if it&#39;s safe to take a shot, the odds (as shown earlier) aren&#39;t even 50/50 that it&#39;ll be done safely.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I&#39;m sure there are some tough cats that can kill squirrels, but most cats won&#39;t do it, recognizing the (real) danger.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

.22 birdshot works well, and has a very short range. Available at any most any sporting goods store. Called rat shot.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Fox Urine. You can get it at a hunting supply store, and even sometimes at WalMart&#39;s hunting secting in sporting goods. It is in a spray bottle and smells terrible, but if it is sprayed around, the squirrels will think that they are prey and leave the area. Worked for me.

Reply to
USA1st

You&#39;re kidding, right? My cats have NO problems killing rabbits and squirrels, and I have one mutant cat who hunts racoons and skunks.

Reply to
<h>

I could use one of those raccoon hunters. My two cats will stalk a squirrel but not jump it. They don&#39;t even want to *think* about fighting a raccoon. These are suburban cats, not country cats, though I did have a cat a few years ago that ate rabbits. My daughter kept rabbits and one of them was in love with a cat and kept uh making love to her and this taught the cat two things: 1) rabbits are awful, and 2) rabbits are easy to beat up. The cat wouldn&#39;t kill my domestic rabbits, but she started bringing home wild rabbits for lunch.

Reply to
Bert Byfield