Cantalopes & squirels

rec.gardens.edible Cantalopes & squirels

Do squirels forage cantalope patchs? Have a small patch in the Ohio river valley that's shown only one small 1 in. cantalope so far. The squirels seem to be having a good year, though.

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

They never hit mine when I grew them, but I have a fenced yard, and dogs that will eat squirrels if they can catch them.

Reply to
Omelet

Each spring when I put in a garden, the local squirrels take note. As soon as I see one in my garden, it becomes shot. Then I build a little gallows in the middle of the garden and hand the carcass from it.....

It seems to work... Stinks for about a week, but no further squrrels come into the garden......

My garden is fenced, and I have a dog..... Squirrels just laugh at that....They are too fast and too quick for most dogs and cats, especially when they aren't taken by surprised. They are not too fast for a good pellet rifle, however.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS

Interesting solution. ie, how to communicate with squirels. Thanks.

Hul

AndyS wrote:

Reply to
dbr

Reply to
markgro

So do turtles and raccoons. I put up a squirrel feeder and they kept away from the garden, but it didn't stop the other two.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne