Aw, we got more of them in the zoos, no big deal

"If the poisonings don't stop, the fate of the African lion may be sealed." Lions in East-Africa are being poisoned by a pesticide that is banned in the European Union and will probably soon be banned in the US for all food crops. It's called Carbofuran and it's used to "control insects and other pests on crops such as corn, rice and sorghum". Unfortunately, it's also used to poison lions...

Ummm, "probably soon banned from the U.S."?

"Of course, it's hard to blame the company if its product is misused, but this story is just a reminder that pesticides are after all poisons, and that even when used properly, they have an impact on ecosystems. Organic agriculture should be used whenever possible; and problems with "pests" are often much smaller when we don't have large monocultures..."

Reply to
Steve