No flowers no more!

I seem to have a general decline in blooming flowers -- particularly with my gardenias, snap draggons, and (to a lesser extent) my roses. I suspect it is related to watering. Which is more likely to cause that -- too much water, or too little?

Reply to
G Burton

How about too hot?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

It has been very hot lately, but it seems to me that it is no hotter than it was when I had more blooms.

Reply to
G Burton

Wherever it is you are on the planet.

How many hot days have you had in a row this summer?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

About 10. I think that's pretty normal for this time of year, though.

I'm in Fairfield Ca. Western Garden zone 14.

What is the limit on the number of hot days?

How does the heat affect blossoms?

Are Gardenias any more susceptible than other flowers?

Reply to
G Burton

Hi Loudette Yes, the loooonnnggg heat wave is affecting all flowers.

Snapdragons are rarely able to get thru summer anyway. Pull them out. They are a cool season plant, just like pansies. Even if they do struggle thru the summer, they do poorly the second season, and are covered with rust. Get rid of them and plan to put something else there when it gets a little cooler. I always get mine out about mid July or earlier.

Roses don't really like this heat either. They will continue to flower, but the blossoms will be smaller. They need a lot of water in the heat, and wash the foliage off in the a.m with the hose or sprinkler every week. Have you given them a good dose of fertilizer lately? They would enjoy some fish emulsion or alfalfa pellets. And mulch them.

Gardenias can be finicky. ARe yours in full sun or afternoon sun? Mine are both in shade for the afternoon. One gets very little water and the other gets watered twice a week. They are both OK, but the watered one looks much greener and happier. They generally do not bloom much in the heat of summer, but will bloom in early fall.

How is the Lilac doing?

Emilie NorCal Sacramento Valley Where we have had about 5 days under 90 during July

Reply to
mleblanca

Your're helping me again!! Good to talk to you!

The lilac looks terrible. A couple of the small branches are OK, but essentially all the other branches have had their leaves brown up and fall off. There are buds where the leaves were, but the buds aren't budding -- at least not yet. Some of the buds look pretty dead and others look pretty much alive. I think your advice was correct. I was just a little late. I am watering it a lot now, and praying a little.

Thanks for the infor about the flowers. I'll quit worrying so much.

Reply to
G Burton