Another Warm Week

It was 78 today, here north of Baltimore, and they're expecting 77 on Thursday. My outdoor shiitake mushroom logs are starting to sprout, so the warm weather should give them time to mature.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

You're pretty close to our temps here in Houston area. We're still topping 80 regularly and getting up to low fifties. I'm still hoping for a real winter as the past two years have all been warm. We've planted a few cabbage, broccoli, etc. in hopes of maybe getting some winter grub. My wife was raised in St. Mary's County, MD and we have relatives in Baltimore, a city I don't thing I would like to live in these days.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

George Shirley wrote: ...

is it constantly wet that fish can survive?

if so look into stocking it with mosquito eaters (surface feeding fish). the HOA should have taken care of this IMO, but perhaps dropped the ball.

not sure what native species you have down there that might work.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

It always has a little water in it, people wash their cars, water their lawn, etc. and let the water run into the drainage system to the pond. I see lots of small fish, turtles of all sizes and the occasional snake. Lots of birds like the pond as it is probably their only source of water within five miles. Most of the natural creeks here have been dug out to speed water away from the area and to avoid flooding.

Miz Anne's vocation is walking the detention pond area every afternoon with Tilly Dawg. She also picks up all the balls of all kinds that the kids lose down the drains, a rain comes by and the balls float on down to a dip in the run off drainage. She has saved about twenty balls of various types from there. Last community garage sale she washed the balls and I used the compressor to put them all round again. She sold them for anywhere from 5 cents to one buck, and sold all of them.

I haven't tried fishing in that hole because I think the fish might glow in the dark with all the crap the community throws down drains or tosses in the pond. You can't stop idiots from being idiots and most of these folks are from at least fifteen states and, for sure, nine different countries other than the US. I did the census two years ago here and lots of our neighbors don't even speak English or, maybe, they just don't want to speak English. I'm amazed at the single women with children that live here. I guess it is because the housing here started at about $100,000 in 2006 and now most are at the $200,000 level. We paid $147,000 for this house and a realtor advised me that it was now worth around $190,000 with the changes we have made to the home. I would rather live out in the boonies but the boss lady wants to be close to the grands and great grands.

Reply to
George Shirley