Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Browning
Many thanks to the_constructor and AJH Regards. Ben

Cistern overflow/leak
Hello all, the aforementioned toilet is now installed and is leaking! It is a BIIO cistern (actually a B&Q 'Toilet to go' which is a close-coupled cistern) which leaks into the pan so it's...
4
4

Toilet seat hinges removal
I need to replace my toilet seat and have bought a new one. Problem is that the plastic wing hinges are stuck fast (on the old seat)and i cant budge them. Any tips for loosening them up. Will I have...
8
8

Shaver point in bathroom
I want to fit a shaver point in my bathroom. I would have preferred to put it to the right of the wide mirror above the washbasin, but I think that puts it in zone 1 where I imagine it is not allowed...
9
9

Removing Old Silicone
I need to remove a load of ten year old silicone sealant from two edges of a bath. It's positively evil stuff which although not hardened, won't allow me to get an edge up and start peeling...
7
7

Carlite Browning
Good Evening All, Can any plasterers confirm how much you can build up a very out of plum wall with Carlite browning, is 2" - 3" exceptable. If doable I presume doing it in 1/2" - 1" layer at a time,...
2
2

Basin Blockages
Both my bathroom washbasins keep getting a black, slimey build-up in the waste pipes. It looks a bit like a blackcurrant jelly - before you mix it with hot water! It doesn't smell. It may be...
3
3

water based paint over oil on interior door
I used the last of a tin of oil based paint to put the first coat on an interior (bathroom) door. I used quick drying for the next coat without realising this is water based (yes, I'm that crap)....
9
9

Wanted: Barratt flat skirting board
I've bought a flat that was built by Barratt in 96/97. Prob is some of the skirting boards are water damaged and need replacing. And there's a gap where I removed the fireplace. Does anyone...
4
4

Cost of gas & electricity certificate for renting
I have a property that I will rent in the new year, I understand I require to have a safety certificate (not sure of name) for both gas and electricity. What is the cost of getting these certificates...
10
10

periodic inspection report long posting
I rent a house to students. Two years ago I had a periodic inspection report carried out by Electrician A. He ststed on the certificate that the OVERALL ASSESSMENT was "SATISFACTORY" whilst SUMMARY OF...
11
11

Radiator fitting
The fitting used for bleeding air out of one of my radiators is a bit awkward to get at and I am thinking of putting one on the other side which is easy to get at.I would like to know if it is Ok to...
2
2

Affixing toilet pan to floor
Hi, I need to affix a toilet pan to a concrete floor. What size screw should I use, and should I use a wallplug in the concrete? I am worried about cracking the pan screw hole with the metal screw -...
9
9

Joining copper pipe to plastic pipe
I want to join 22 mm copper pipe to 15 mm plastic, the plastic pipe will connect hot water supply to a shower. What is the best way to do it? Joe
3
3

Centaurstat 7
I have a Horstmann Centaurstat 7 programmable room stat. It gives the appearance of working OK. It clicks at the right times etc but the heating circuit in the zone that it controls doesn't close...
12
12