Ceiling Woe

Retarded Plumber Ltd has just seen to it that a large rad emptied it's guts onto the brand new and freshly emulsioned ceiling below.

It's done a proper job with (large) hairline cracks where the plasterboard butts together. Permanent disfigurement to the critical eye.

After it's dried out I'm tempted to give it three or four coats of high opacity emulsion in the hope that it'll hide the damage. However my builder's been wittering that I should fire an oil-based paint over it first. Is this necessary and am I correct in assuming he means just over the cracks?

Or should I make him skim it again?

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

RPL fecked the job up...so really it's down to them to put it right. Most reputable firms carry a 'Public Liability Insurance' for just these situations.

Your builder is right...to stop 'watermarks' leeching through the emulsion, a coat of gloss paint over the whole of the marked area is advisable. Also a skimming of filler over the cracks is also advisable....along with an invoice to RPL!

Don.

Reply to
cerberus

Excellent. Gloss it is then.

Good work, fella! Thanks.

I just bust the plumbers balls and he left a restaurant to attend!

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

I normally use oil based undercoat in these situations. It dries quicker and seems to go on thicker and it's probably cheaper. It could be that gloss is better, maybe someone can advise.

Reply to
Smokinbilly

I'm happy with cheap and thick. Gotta love Usenet!

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

If there are cracks between boards then I don't think just skimming or filling will be sufficient. You might need to use scrim.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham