Toilet seat hinges removal

I need to replace my toilet seat and have bought a new one. Problem is that the plastic wing hinges are stuck fast (on the old seat)and i cant budge them. Any tips for loosening them up. Will I have to use a hack saw to get them off.

Any ideas appreciated.

Reply to
Harry Syme

You're using the plastic long-reach tool rather than your fingertips I presume?

I've had success with needle-nose mole grips. Also ROBUST metal scissors held open to the width of the wings may give you the required twisting force.

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

or, you could break the seat/lid unit out and then unscrew the fitting from the top.

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

Assuming you don't want to keep the old one :-)

The plastic tops of the hinges usually have slots in them to allow adjustment. Use suitable blunt object to bash them sideways away from the centre. One will usually give up.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Using pliers! I`ll try the top entry thanks/

Reply to
Harry Syme

nothing worked so i melted it off with a soldering iron...worked very well and only took a few mins!

Thanks for the replies folks.

Reply to
Harry Syme

I bet that smelt great. But 10/10 for thinking about doing that.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It was one of those ideas that worked better than i imagined. I just "drew a line" down the washer (dome shaped) at both sides then ripped it off with a pair of pliers. Yes it was quite smelly and I was trying not to breath in any fumes but it took about 3 mins on each one.

The new seat has metal winged washers...whether they will be any better remains to be seen. Watch this space in about 10 years if the new one lasts as long as the old.

:o)

Reply to
Harry Syme

Put some copper grease on the threads