Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Checking bateries
I seem to remember being told that although the meter reading on a 1.5 volt battery may show 1.5 volts the battery may still require replacing. What other check can be made to ascertain this? Blair
1
1

Warranty?
Went to Comet with son $ partner who want a new electric cooker for their new home. "And £79 installation" quoth the man, "and we'll take the old one away" There isn't an old one. "I can install it...
11
11

How to fit Lenoleum
I have fitted carpet and Tiles and Laminate without any problem. BUT the last time I tried to lay linoleum it was a desaster. Any hints and tips. Or should i finish the bottle before I start ))
2
2

Untreated wood - panic??
I'm beginning to worry about the way that I attached my insulation boards to the garage walls. The garage is water-tight, and at the request of the BCO, I laid a damp proof membrane right across the...
2
2

Painting Breezeblocks
I have masonry paint and brushes and am ready to go but wonder if there are any words of wisdom and experience out there that can save me misery. Should I use two medium coats or one thick coat of...
7
7

leveling garage floor
I am in the process of converting two single garages which are attached to the house into one large one. The two are under the same roof and the wall in between is not supporting. Removing the wall...

Electrical Ring adding a new twin socket
Hi I am helping out installing a new socket The existing socket is a trip base dual domestic socket. Its part of a ring main which has 2.5 twin core and earth. I need to run a socket for to the middle...
9
9

Changing Central Heating Timer
I'd like to change my Drayton Switchmaster 400 mechanical timeswitch for a Drayton LP112 digital. Looking at the LP instructions on line it seems I can use the existing backing plate but need to move...
1
1

electricity
Can we win, I have power saving bulbs, I don't use half as much electricity as I used to. I am very careful. But it seems to me that if everyone is doing this, the power companies would lose out. So...
2
2

Dryline Boxes and Polyfoam insulation
I've now started putting on my dryline boxes, in readiness for plastering. This guide shows how to put the boxes into simple plasterboard. But I have polyfoam board. So it seems that I need to make a...
2
2

ready mixed concrete
Has anyone bought ready mix concrete for a floor got one 12ft by 9ft 4inch think any ideas on how much per cubic meter it would cost? cheers
1
1

Circular saws
Are there circular saws that, with a change of blade, may be used to cut wood and concrete?
8
8

Electric screwdrivers
Do electric screw drivers produce more torque than human hands? I.e., would an electric screwdriver tighten a screw that I would struggle to tighten by hand? Would anyone care to recommend an electric...
26
26

Son Lamps
My friend says he has put ordinary incandescant lamps in son fittngs, but I am not sure how safe that would be, are there any electricians out there, that can tell me the consequences of doing this?
8
8

Boarding Loft AND Rafters
Hi, I live in an end terrace house and am contemplating putting insulation (glass fibre roll?) in the loft between the roof rafters and boarding them over as a way of increasing insulation, as well as...
7
7