Power for outside water fountain

Hi all,

I've moved into a house with a water fountain in the back garden. Whoever installed it wasn't electrically competent though ;) There's a weatherproof box mounted on the wall outside which has mains transformer inside and the power to the pump is low voltage from there. The issue is with how the mains gets to that box. Currently that's achieved with a long internal grade solid core cable that is laid along the ground and goes half way round the base of the house, straight through a wall and terminates in a 3 pin plug :/ Needless to say I've left it switched off for now ;)

On the other side of the wall the box is mounted on there's a double socket on the ring main and we only ever use one of the sockets. It's also in an ideal place to control the fountain so what I'd like to do is replace that with a faceplate that has a single normal socket and also an RCD FCU (probably just with a 1A fuse in). I've got some arctic grade cable lying around somewhere that I can use for the very short run through the wall into the box.

First problem is that I can't find any such faceplates for sale. Also I'm unsure about whether the wiring on the switched side of a FCU constitutes a spur and what the implications are there. And then there's the Part P stuff :(

Suggestions? :)

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

This do?

Re connecting to the outside unit I would have thought that if it is plugged in then it contstitutes a portable appliance and as such you do have to bother about regs.

What's more. why worry about the regs anyway? Who will know?

Reply to
Woody

I was hoping to avoid have the cable terminate in a plug and instead use an FCU like this:

I just can't find a double socket that compromises one FCU and one normal socket, let alone with an RCD as well.

I hope the regs don't spply to this, otherwise I've got a choice to make.

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Part P is just there to stop 'cash jobs' for electricians. Otherwise, why is it just for domestic properties ?and not commercial.

Reply to
john

As it's outside, you would need an RCD fused spur if you're not using a plug-in connection via a RCD.

I doubt you'll get what you want. The nearest (and more uglier) alternative is to get a surface mounting patress box that can hold two units. If you're lucky, you might be able to marry up the fixing holes on the back of the socket to the screw holes on the existing patress box and secure it that way. Watch out, though, because the RCDs are quite bulky and need a decent depth to the box (such as 28mm) and even then, it's still a bit tight.

Roger

Reply to
romic