Remove Radiator

Hi

I am decorating my lounge and want to remove the radiator to paint behind it (i might even replace it).

Its an old thin radiator with the thermostat at the top and the two pipes come out of the floor side, by side into it. On each of these pipes, there is a kind of small silver wheel type nut. I have an Ideal combi boiler.

My question is, can I remove the radiator by simply tightening up these two 'wheel' looking nuts and then just taking it off or is there more to it than that? I understand the pressure will drop on the boiler, which I can repressurise afterwards, or is it more complex than that, ie I'd need to turn off the water supply. I am inexperienced in this, and before I even start, want to ensure it's as simple as it seems. I've looked all over the web for this type of radiator/boiler, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance Bob

Reply to
Truffle

When refitting it, sit it back on the brackets and use ptfe tape on the threads before tightening the valves, open the "wheel nuts" at each end and bleed until no air is left in the rad - at the same time checking the pressure level on the boiler. Hope this is ok - works for me every time. Franko.

Reply to
Franko

Will certainly give that a go. Thanks a lot Franko

Reply to
Truffle

No problem Truffle - just don't forget the towels as your missus won't be too happy about black stains on the carpet - been there, done that !

Reply to
Franko

Far simpler would be to get from one of the diy sheds a long handled roller to paint behind the rad without removing it.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Anything similar for removing wallpaper?

Reply to
JAB

Not that I'm familiar with. I would use a normal scraper to remove as much as I could reach, Then paint over the rest with the long roller. No-one's going to see it much are they?

Mind you, I'm a lazy git.

Steve Always the simple option.

Reply to
shazzbat

The problem I've found is all the 'frayed' edges that are left, maybe I'll just stick them back down.

... from another lazy git :-)

Reply to
JAB