Remove Radiator

Hi

I am decorating my lounge and want to remove the radiator to paint behind it (i might even replace it).

Its an old thin radiator with the thermostat at the top and the two pipes come out of the floor side, by side into it. On each of these pipes, there is a kind of small silver wheel type nut. I have an Ideal combi boiler.

My question is, can I remove the radiator by simply tightening up these two 'wheel' looking nuts and then just taking it off or is there more to it than that? I understand the pressure will drop on the boiler, which I can repressurise afterwards, or is it more complex than that, ie I'd need to turn off the water supply. I am inexperienced in this, and before I even start, want to ensure it's as simple as it seems. I've looked all over the web for this type of radiator/boiler, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance Bob

Reply to
Truffle

call a pro, it is a bit complicated and could require specal tools..

Reply to
Ned Flanders

I'm not sure if I'm picturing it right. However, it you have lockshield (or handwheel) valves both ends, then you can tighten them and remove the radiator. If you have a TRV (thermostatic radiator valve) on one end, these may need special treatment. Some have a firm off position, which you can use. Some require the top to be removed and replaced with a "decorator's cap". The normal "off" position is no good, as it can open a little, draining your central heating system into the room.

Some things to remember are:

  1. Remember how far open each valve is exactly. When reconnecting, put them back exactly as you found them. Otherwise, you could unbalance the system, stopping some radiators working (not necessarily the one you're working on).

  1. The radiator is full of black water contaminated with an indelible dye that WILL destroy any carpets it touches. There are some tricks to drain the radiator first, but none is completely infallible. With an expensive carpet, it could be best to pull it back from the rad and refit it afterwards. Also, you could consider draining the entire system and then refilling with new inhibitor. This is a particularly good idea if the corrosion inhibitor hasn't been replaced for a few years.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yeah, I like to hang out in lounges. Any cocktail waitress's named Victoria/Valerie in there ?

Val was my first love and meaner than 2 Osama's. You got a Victoria and Hot will come back.....

Reply to
Red Jacket