Remove radiator on a combi system

Hi,

Need some advice regarding removing a radiator which runs from a combi boiler.

I am decorating and need to remove the radiator to decorate and that behind it. I thought I could close the open close valve to the radiator and the thermostat valve, and the undo the nut to bleed that radiator only, or so I thought.

When I tried I found the water from the boiler was draining off so I stopped, and re filled the boiler.

Is there a way to drain this radiator only without draining the boiler? Or do I have to drain the boiler also?

Thanx for any help

Reply to
Chris S

I know this is a bit of a fudge, but... Is it possible to undo the compression connections (after turning the valves off) on either side of the radiator enough to allow the radiator to move slightly and then "bend" it down - tighten them up to stop any leaks and whilst supporting the radiator, decorate behind it and then reverse the process?

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

It sounds like the TRV isn't closing completely. Some TRVs have to be turned round beyond the 0 position (sometimes to a "*") to turn off completely. Others are supplied with a manual "maintenance" head which you can fit after removing the thermostatic head. This should enable it to be turned off firmly - in cases where the normal head won't.

Reply to
Set Square

There isn't enough play in the pipes to do this.

Reply to
Chris S

The thermostat valve is a Drayton

Reply to
Chris S

i have 4 radiators off at the moment been off 4 weeks and no water loss sound like a trv problem

a little tip that worked for me - i managed to get a washing machine hose that was sat in the garage ( blue / red pipe type) to fit the thread on the valves -on 2 out of the 4 radiators i removed cos i was bothered abouta TRv leaking

Reply to
sam

In message , Chris S writes

Only if you can isolate it from the system ?

Don't forget that the boiler won''t work without sufficient CH pressure

Reply to
raden

Drayton definitely require a service adapter (different valve actuator) to close them completely.

IIRC it just has a longer operating pin in the centre to push the valve fully shut.

Possibly you could remove the adjustable control part (knob assembly) and insert a spacer between it and the valve to do the same thing - but it's years since I last looked at them so I cannot be certain.

Fred

Reply to
Fred