Remove radiator on a combi system

Hi,
Need some advice regarding removing a radiator which runs from a combi boiler.
I am decorating and need to remove the radiator to decorate and that behind it. I thought I could close the open close valve to the radiator and the thermostat valve, and the undo the nut to bleed that radiator only, or so I thought.
When I tried I found the water from the boiler was draining off so I stopped, and re filled the boiler.
Is there a way to drain this radiator only without draining the boiler? Or do I have to drain the boiler also?
Thanx for any help

I know this is a bit of a fudge, but... Is it possible to undo the compression connections (after turning the valves off) on either side of the radiator enough to allow the radiator to move slightly and then "bend" it down - tighten them up to stop any leaks and whilst supporting the radiator, decorate behind it and then reverse the process?
Matt.
Classic Quotes.

JNugent's knowledge regarding taxation;

so
There isn't enough play in the pipes to do this.

It sounds like the TRV isn't closing completely. Some TRVs have to be turned round beyond the 0 position (sometimes to a "*") to turn off completely. Others are supplied with a manual "maintenance" head which you can fit after removing the thermostatic head. This should enable it to be turned off firmly - in cases where the normal head won't.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

behind
The thermostat valve is a Drayton

i have 4 radiators off at the moment been off 4 weeks and no water loss sound like a trv problem
a little tip that worked for me - i managed to get a washing machine hose that was sat in the garage ( blue / red pipe type) to fit the thread on the valves -on 2 out of the 4 radiators i removed cos i was bothered abouta TRv leaking

Drayton definitely require a service adapter (different valve actuator) to close them completely.
IIRC it just has a longer operating pin in the centre to push the valve fully shut.
Possibly you could remove the adjustable control part (knob assembly) and insert a spacer between it and the valve to do the same thing - but it's years since I last looked at them so I cannot be certain.
Fred

Only if you can isolate it from the system ?
Don't forget that the boiler won''t work without sufficient CH pressure
--
geoff